John Kuhn's NFL career appears to be in limbo at the moment.
The Dover High School graduate was unexpectedly released by the New Orleans Saints on Sunday, Sept. 3
According to a report on NOLA.com, the move was thought to be just temporary.
Kuhn was the only fullback to make the Saints' initial 53-man roster on Saturday, Sept. 2.
NOLA.com reported that a league source said the move was made to clear room for two players the team claimed on waivers, quarterback Taysom Hill and wide receiver Austin Carr.
NOLA.com also said Kuhn was expected to re-sign with the Saints after temporarily being a free agent.
As of 11 p.m. Tuesday, Sept. 5, however, Kuhn was still not listed on the team's roster and no information had been released by the team indicating that Kuhn was, or will be, re-signed.
Being released is nothing new for Kuhn, who was released earlier in his career by the Pittsburgh Steelers and Green Bay Packers.
Still, the former Shippensburg University standout has carved out a long and productive career in the NFL.
Last year was his first with New Orleans after nine years with the Packers. Last season, Kuhn rushed the ball 18 times for 37 yards and four touchdowns. He also had 16 catches for 70 yards and one TD. He played in all 16 games for New Orleans.
This season, the soon-to-be, 35-year-old Kuhn was again expected to play a key role in New Orleans' offense as a blocking back, short-yardage runner and passing option out of the backfield. He was expected to clear the way for featured running backs Mark Ingram and the newly-acquired Adrian Peterson.