Kennard-Dale loses lead, top player in District 3 2-A girls' lacrosse semifinal defeat

  • The Kennard-Dale girls' lacrosse team suffered a 12-11 loss to Hershey on Tuesday.
  • The loss came in a District 3 Class 2-A semifinal contest.
  • The Rams' top player, Megan Halczuk, went down with an injury with just more than 10 minutes left.
  • Halczuk had five goals before the injury. She didn't return to the game after the injury.

MILLERSVILLE — Even before its top player went out with an ankle injury, Kennard-Dale was getting all it could handle from second-seeded Hershey.

But when junior Megan Halczuk, the York-Adams League's Most Outstanding Player, exited with just more than 10 minutes left in the game, it was enough to swing all the momentum to the Trojans’ side.

Hershey rallied to stun third-seeded Kennard-Dale 12-11 Tuesday in District 3 Class 2-A girls' lacrosse semifinal action at Penn Manor High School's Comet Field.

The defeat prevents the Rams from meeting up with York-Adams rival Susquehannock in the district final. The Warriors beat Wyomissing in the other semifinal, 13-11.

Warriors win, earn shot to defend D-3 2-A title

The Rams (18-4), who had beaten Hershey 22-7 earlier this year, will meet fourth-seeded Wyomissing (16-6) in the third-place game at 5 p.m. Thursday back at Penn Manor. Despite the loss, K-D has already qualified for the state tournament.

“Megan is a good player and if she goes out, it’s going to make a difference,” Rams head coach Kelly Wetzel said. “But we didn’t do some things that we needed to do ... we didn’t adjust to their draw of putting it over our heads.

“There was a big difference in this game, too. (Hershey's) Maddy Zimmer didn’t play in our first game with them, so I knew this was going to be a different game with her in there.”

That it was. The Trojans' sophomore controlled the midfield and scored three goals. She also was pivotal near the end of the contest when Hershey (19-2) went into a stall with the one-goal lead.

“The game’s never over, particularly against a team like Kennard-Dale-Dale,” Hershey coach Ken Taylor said. “But I felt pretty good with our stall because we have some girls who can really protect the ball and run around the field.”

Kennard-Dale led 8-5 at halftime and eventually grew that advantage to 10-6 on Halczuk’s fifth goal at the 20:52 mark of the second half. Hershey, however, rallied to cut it to 10-9 before Morgan Bowings made it 11-9 with 13:33 left.

Halczuk went down three minutes later and Hershey scored three straight goals to take a 12-11 edge with 6:18 remaining.

The Rams missed an open net with two minutes left, but that was their last real chance to tie against Hershey's stall.

“I still have confidence in the girls and I think they believe in themselves, too,” Wetzel said. “We’re just going to have to step up in Megan’s absence.”

The extent of Halczuk's injury is uncertain.

Reach George Hammond at