Boys' soccer roundup, Thursday, Oct. 11: Susquehannock, West York tie for D-II crown

  • West York and Susquehannock battled to a 1-1 tie on Thursday in boys' soccer action.
  • As a result, the Bulldogs and the Warriors will tie for the York-Adams Division II title.

GLEN ROCK — After a rain-soaked 100 minutes of boys’ soccer action Thursday evening at Susquehannock High School, an outright York-Adams League Division II champion was not determined.

Sports logo

That doesn’t mean, however, that both teams left feeling unsatisfied.

After a scoreless first half, the host Warriors took the lead on a goal by Fallon Cisse. That advantage didn’t hold up for even two minutes. The visiting West York Bulldogs evened things up on a penalty kick goal by Jake Altimore with more than 29 minutes left in regulation.

Despite those final 29 minutes on the clock, plus two 10-minute overtime periods, neither team was able to find the net again and the sides settled for a 1-1 tie.

The result left the status of the division in the exact same place as it was before the contest. Both West York and Susquehannock finished their divisional schedules with identical 10-1-1 marks. Since the Y-A League does not use tiebreakers for division titles, the two programs will be considered co-champs.

The Bulldogs, however, earned the No. 1 seed from D-II in next week’s Y-A League playoffs by virtue of a better head-to-head mark vs. the Warriors. West York claimed a 4-2 victory earlier in the season and thus finished 1-0-1 against Susquehannock.

That was enough reason for the Bulldog players to celebrate.

“We’re excited,” West York coach Ben Reiber said. “Now we wanted to win and that was what we were going for, but at the end of the day, playing Susquehannock on their home field, we knew it was going to be a brutal fight for us.”

The West York players stormed the field after the final whistle in a contest that was played in a constant downpour from the opening whistle. The result cemented the school’s first D-II crown since 2013.

“Hey, we’re very happy,” Reiber said. “We’re very pleased with our season.”

So, too, are the Warriors and their coach Brett Maxwell. Maxwell, however, had to remind the Bulldog players that Thursday’s result means that his team is also considered the division champion, which is Susquehannock’s third in a row.

“It was a hard-fought game on both sides,” Maxwell said. “We were obviously coming out here to be division champs, and obviously we’d like to have did it on our own, but it’s three in a row for us, so we’re happy with that.”

As the No. 1 seed from D-II, the Bulldogs will draw the No. 3 seed from D-I in the quarterfinal round of the league playoffs. Currently that would be Northeastern, who tied with South Western Thursday night. While both programs finished with 22 points, the Mustangs hold the tiebreak with a victory in the first meeting.

Dallastown (21 points) can knock South Western into the No. 3 seed with a victory against D-I champ Red Lion Friday.

Reiber wouldn’t mind seeing the Wildcats do that. His team is hungry for a chance to face the Mustangs again.

“We’re looking forward to that,” Reiber said. “We played them last Thursday and we were down 2-0 at the half and (the weather) forced the game to be called and (the South Western players) were kind of celebrating. So we’d like another shot.”



Northeastern 1, South Western 1: At Manchester, Joshua Sanderson scored for Northeastern, off an assist from Noah Hartzfeld. Troy Billingslea made four saves for Northeastern. The Bobcats won the JV match, 3-1.

York Catholic 1, Hanover 0: At Hanover, Kyle Kim had the game's only goal, off an assist from Ben Bullen. Ethan Higgins had six saves to record the shutout in goal.

Reach Ryan Vandersloot at