Susquehannock rally comes up short in District 3 Class 2-A boys' lacrosse semifinals

  • Susquehannock fell to Trinity 10-8 in District 3 Class 2-A boys' lacrosse action.
  • The Warriors fell behind early, 6-1, and could never recover.
  • The Warriors will now face York-Adams rival York Catholic in the District 3 2-A third-place game.

HERSHEY — A second-half rally fell short for Susquehannock on Monday, when the Warriors bowed to Trinity 10-8 in District 3 Class 2-A boys' lacrosse semifinal action at Hershey High School.

The loss sends Susquehannock (15-5) to the third-place game Wednesday against York-Adams rival York Catholic at a site and time to be determined. The Fighting Irish fell to Palmyra 17-5 in the other semifinal.

Susquehannock's Ian LeBlanc, seen here in a file photo, had two goals in Monday's loss to Trinity. YORK DISPATCH FILE PHOTO

The Warriors had already clinched their first appearance in the PIAA 2-A state tournament that starts next week.

Falling behind 6-1 in the first half, third-seeded Susquehannock put itself in a hole that was just too much to overcome vs. second-seeded Trinity.

“They came out ready to play and were able to capitalize on some of our mistakes,” Susquehannock senior Adam Rebich said. “It was disappointing, but we’ll learn from it and move on.”

Warriors’ coach Russ LeBlanc agreed.

“We gave up a few goals early on that we were disappointed with, and we ended up playing catch-up because of it,” he said. “Against a quality team that is well-coached, that’s a tough combination to climb uphill against.”

Contributing to Susquehannock’s woes was the skill of Shamrocks face-off specialist Scott Simpson, who didn’t lose a face-off until it was 6-1. Just 36 seconds into the contest, Dan Scott put Trinity on the board with a goal and the Shamrocks made it 2-0 minutes later on Mike Coleman’s goal.

Gavin Held closed the gap to 2-1 at the 3:22 mark of the first quarter, but then Trinity ran off four straight goals to make it 6-1 with seven minutes remaining in the first half.

The Warriors got goals from Ian LeBlanc and Jacob Bedgar late in the first half to cut the deficit to 6-3 with 2:25 remaining, but a Trinity goal by Will Thropp with just seven seconds left in the half was a real dagger.

“We had a couple of breakdowns defensively that really hurt,” coach LeBlanc said.

Trinity had 23 shots in the first half (17 in the second quarter). The Warriors cut that number to 12 in the final half, but they couldn’t even the score.

Rebich and Bedgar moved Susquehannock within 7-5 midway in the third quarter, but David Scott’s goal with 33 seconds left in the third made it 8-5 entering the final 12 minutes.

The Warriors got within two goals twice in the fourth quarter but couldn’t get any closer.

“I’m proud of our guys and what they have accomplished,” coach LeBlanc said. “We’re still playing in late May and that’s a lot of fun.”

Ian LeBlanc and Bedgar each finished with two goals. Bedgar also had an assist. Rebich finished with a goal and assist.



South Western 11, Hershey 10 (OT): At Central York, South Western kept its hopes alive for a PIAA Class 2-A state playoff berth with an overtime triumph. Eighth-seeded South Western (13-6) advances to the District 3 2-A fifth-place game on Wednesday vs. seventh-seeded Lancaster Country Day (14-5). The winner will earn a state berth. LCD beat sixth-seeded Red Land on Monday, 9-7. 

Reach George Hammond at