Local Hall of Fame seeks nominations
The York Area Sports Hall of Fame is seeking nominations for induction into its 2016 class.
In order to qualify, a candidate must meet a number of criteria, including:
- For athletes in sports generally thought to have limited career spans (baseball, football, basketball, etc.), nominees must be finished with their playing careers for which they are being considered.
- For athletes in sports generally thought to be of the lifetime variety (golf, bowling, hunting, fishing, etc.), nominees must have achieved a clear level of excellence over an extended period of time — not less than 10 years — and be at least 45 years of age.
- For coaches and those deemed contributors, patrons and otherwise outstanding supporters in the cause of York County sports, the nominees must have achieved a clear level of excellence over an extended period of time — not less than 10 years — and be at least 45 years of age.
- In all cases, nominees must have made a significant accomplishment or impact at the high school, college, amateur or pro level, with emphasis on significant.
- In all cases, nominees must have some clear and defined connections to York County. Nominees must have participated in York County sports or contributed in some way to the betterment of the community. Residency alone shall not be sufficient to warrant induction.
Those selected will be honored at the Hall of Fame Center, 224 N. George St., and at PeoplesBank Park in May.
For information, or to nominate a candidate, contact Charles Jacobs at (717) 683-4992.