Hartman outlasts Denner in six-hole playoff to win York County Amateur golf title
STEWARTSTOWN — Pleasant Valley Golf Course was not so "pleasant" for a number of players during Sunday's York County Amateur Championship.
T.J. Ostrom, Brett Berkheimer, Scott Knouse and Josh Rinehart were all near the top of the leaderboard after Saturday's first round. Those four, however, found themselves unable to break par over the final 18 holes.
While they certainly didn't have a "pleasant" day, Sunday was more positive for at least two golfers — Axel Hartman and David Denner. Both Hartman, a West York High School graduate, and Denner, a Central York grad, shot under par to lift themselves into contention.
Denner's day was particularly impressive. The 24 year old was 1 over after the first day but reached 5 under overall with a 6-under round of 66 Sunday.
Hartman padded his 3-under performance Saturday by shooting a 70 that set up a playoff between he and Denner.
While neither golfer has been particularly successful in recent past during playoffs, it was Hartman who came out on top. Matching stroke for stroke through five playoff holes, Denner missed a short putt on the sixth hole. Hartman sank his short putt that sealed his first-ever Amateur title.
"I just lost the Briarwood West championship in a three-man playoff," said Hartman, who also dropped a four-man playoff at Heritage Hills last summer during the York County Junior Golf Association season. "But I do think that I got a little bit of experience from that."
Hartman could have closed things out a hole earlier when he missed a birdie putt. While some may have gotten frustrated, Hartman remained cool and calm in the moment.
"Just holding up to the pressure," he said.
Hartman set up the playoff with a birdie on No. 18. Playing in a foursome that included Rinehart, Berkheimer and Ostrom, the former Bulldog standout sank a putt with a large gallery watching. That gallery included Denner, who finished his round nearly an hour earlier.
While Denner, who dropped a playoff a few years ago during the YCJGA Match Play Championship, was disappointed to come up short again, he sounded pleased with his solid play Sunday.
"I wasn't frustrated (with the playoff)," Denner said. "I was happy with the way I played and just wanted to post a good number. If I won I'd be (real) happy, but I'd understand because my first round wasn't too great."
Knouse, who has overcome several health scares over the past 18 months, was solid on Saturday. Sunday, however, was a different story.
"You always want to shoot better on Day 2 than you do on Day 1," he said. "Today that didn't happen."
Sean Mahon and Owen Fry each shot 3 unders to tie for third-place, while Rinehart and Berkheimer shared fifth place after recording 2 unders. Ostrom, who shot a 2 over Sunday, finished, seventh, while Knouse, who was even after 18 holes, was part of a six-way tie for 17th at 5 over.
OTHER LOCAL GOLF NOTE
Smith has ace at Out Door: Lance Smith had a hole in one at Out Door Country Club on Saturday.
He used a 5-iron to ace the 178-yard second hole. It was witnessed by Bob Miller, Gary Lease and Steve Hieber.
Reach Ryan Vandersloot at firstname.lastname@example.org.
2015 York County Amateur Championship
At Pleasant Valley Golf Course (Par 72)
1. Axel Hartman (Br. West) 69-70—139
2. David Denner (RM) 73-66—139
3. Sean Mahon (NA) 73-68—141
3. Owen Fry (He.H) 71-70—141
5. Josh Rinehart (RM) 70-72—142
5. Brett Berkheimer (Br. West) 70-72—142
7. T.J. Ostrom (YCAGA) 69-74—143
8. Raymond Sheedy (SH) 74-70—144
8. Bryon Markle (He.H) 71-73—144
10. Steve Crain (RE) 73-72—145
10. Alex Hofstrand (CC) 73-72—145
12. Andrew Geesey (BA 76-70—146
12. Matt Henry (SH) 73-73—146
12. Andrew Davis (CC) 73-73—146
15. Steve Goodley (He.H) 75-72—147
15. Bobby Stiffler (BA) 73-74—147
17. Buddy Sperl (BA) 76-73—149
17. Shane Henry (Hi.H) 75-74—149
17. Rod Crumbling Jr. (CC) 74-75—149
17. Randy Grim (CC) 73-76—149
17. Cary Walton (CCY) 73-76—149
17. Scott Knouse (CC) 73-76—149
23. Brian Leljedal (PV) 74-76—150
24. Doug Bacon (Br. West) 77-74—151
24. John Lowder Jr. (CC) 73-78—151
26. Phil Mengelkamp (GV) 77-75—152
28. Jeff Poet (CCY) 78-75—153
28. Nick Geiman (OD) 75-78—153
28. Zach Grove (Br. East) 74-79—153
28. David Bennett (RM) 74-79—153
32. Tim McCabe (BA) 76-78—154
32. Travis Hoffman (GV) 75-79—154
32. Zach Dixon (CC) 75-79—154
35. Matt Daryman (HR) 78-77—155
35. Michael Bair (CC) 75-80—155
37. Scott Dobak (He.H) 76-80—156
38. Sean Guerin (Br. East) 75-82—157
39. Jim Mastromatteo (Br) 77-81—158
40. Austin Shaffer (BA) 77-82—159
41. Jim Pleasinger (He.H) 78-82—160
41. James Davis III (CC) 78-82—160
43. Shaun McIntyre (CC) 74-NC—NC