Whose names will York County see on the 2018 primary ballot?
Most local races in York County will have multiple candidates on the ballot for the 2018 general election, but only a few primary races will be challenged.
Tuesday, March 6, marked the deadline for candidates to file their nomination petitions — with the exception of congressional candidates, who received an extended deadline of March 20 because of a state Supreme Court order.
Below are the races and candidates York County residents will see on their ballots for the primary election on May 15. Those who are registered Republican will be able to choose between Republican candidates, and those who are registered Democrat will be able to choose between Democratic candidates. Those who are registered unaffiliated or in third parties cannot choose candidates in Pennsylvania's primary.
- U.S. Senate: Lou Barletta (R-Luzerne), incumbent Bob Casey Jr. (D-Lackawanna), Jim Christiana (R-Beaver), Joseph Vodvarka (R-Allegheny).
- Governor: Laura Ellsworth (R-Allegheny), Paul Mango (R-Allegheny), Scott Wagner (R-York), incumbent Tom Wolf (D-York). Note: With incumbent Gov. Wolf running unopposed in his party and Wagner earning the state Republican Committee endorsement, York County residents could be deciding between two of their own for the state's highest elected office.
- Lieutenant governor: Nilofer Nina Ahmad (D-Philadelphia), Jeff Bartos (R-Montgomery), Aryanna Berringer (D-Westmoreland), Kathleen Ann Coder (R-Allegheny), Kathleen Cozzone (D-Chester), John Fetterman (D-Allegheny), Joseph Gale (R-Montgomery), Craig Lehman (D-Lancaster), Marguerite Luksik (R-Cambria), Raymond Sosa (D-Montgomery), incumbent Michael Stack (D-Philadelphia), Diana Irey Vaughan (R-Washington). Note: Although candidates do not run on the same ticket until after the primary, Wagner has been campaigning with Bartos as his preferred running mate.
- State Senate (28th District): Judith McCormick Higgins (D-Lower Windsor Township), Kristin Phillips-Hill (R-York Township), Shawn Mauck (D-West York), Julie Dietz Wheeler (R-Windsor Township) Note: This is the seat Wagner is vacating to pursue his gubernatorial campaign.
- State Senate (48th District): incumbent Mike Folmer (R-Lebanon), Lois Herr (D-Lebanon).
- State House (47th District): incumbent Keith Gillespie (R-Hellam Township), Michael Wascovich (D-Hallam).
- State House (92nd District): Shanna Leigh Danielson (D-Carroll Township), Joshua Baird Hershey (R-Carroll Township), incumbent Dawn Keefer (R-Dillsburg), Curtis Werner (R-Dillsburg). Note: This is the only local race in which an incumbent (Keefer) is facing a primary challenger.
- State House (93rd District): Matt Jansen (R-Yoe), Mike Jones (R-York Township), Meggan O'Rourke (D-Springfield Township). Note: This is the seat Phillips-Hill is vacating to pursue her state Senate campaign.
- State House (94th District): incumbent Stan Saylor (R-Windsor Township), Stephen Snell (D-Windsor Township).
- State House (95th District): incumbent Carol Hill-Evans (D-York City).
- State House (169th District): Sarah Elizabeth Hammond (D-Hanover), incumbent Kate Klunk (R-Hanover).
- State House (196th District): incumbent Seth Grove (R-Dover Township).