Dems to choose 48th Senate District candidate on Sunday
Democratic committees from three counties on Sunday will nominate a candidate to run for the 48th District Senate seat that former Sen. Mike Folmer vacated last month following child pornography charges.
The Democratic committees from York, Lebanon and Dauphin Counties will meet Sunday, Oct. 20, at the Grace-Pollick Training and Community Center in Lebanon County. The conferees will choose a candidate to recommend to the state party.
The following candidates are under consideration in the historically red district, none of whom are from York County:
- Instructional designer Matthew Duvall
- Lebanon County Commissioner Jo Ellen Litz
- West Cornwall Township supervisor David Lloyd
- Community activist Laura Quick
- Michael Schroeder, associate professor of history at Lebanon Valley College
The counties' respective Republican committees will hold their convention on Saturday, Oct. 19, at Lebanon Valley College.
Tom Ryan, a retired businessman, is the only candidate from York County. The others are:
- Lebanon County District Attorney Dave Arnold
- Real estate agent Bill Bering
- Lebanon business owner Nathan Brightbill
- Commonwealth Partners CEO Matt Brouillette,
- State Rep. Russ Diamond, R-Lebanon
- Millersville university professor Charles Greenawalt
- Community activist Jack Hamlett
- Insurance professional Randy Hoffman
- Steelton Highspire School District teacher Stephen Roth
- Healthcare manager Paul Vranesic
The 48th District Senate seat covers northeastern York County, part of Dauphin County and all of Lebanon County.
Folmer resigned last month, a day after the state Attorney General's Office arrested him on felony child pornography charges.
The arrest came in the wake of a cyber tip in March from the blogging website Tumblr that at least one image of child pornography had been uploaded to the website on Dec. 28, 2017.
The image depicted a "very young" girl performing a sexual act on a man, according to the AG's office.
— Logan Hullinger can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or via Twitter at @LoganHullYD.