Perry, Daniels to face off in TV segment: How to watch

1 dead, 17 hurt in crash during Pa. fundraiser for fire victims

The Associated Press
A house that was destroyed by a fatal fire is viewed in Nescopeck, Pa., Friday, Aug. 5, 2022. Multiple people are feared dead after the fire early Friday in northeastern Pennsylvania, according to a volunteer firefighter who responded and said the victims were his relatives. A criminal investigation is underway, police said. (AP Photo/Matt Rourke)

BERWICK, Pa. — One person was killed and another 17 people injured when a vehicle struck a crowd gathered at a Pennsylvania bar for a fundraiser for victims of a house fire that killed 10 earlier this month, authorities said. The suspect then killed a woman in a separate incident, police said.

The crash occurred outside the Intoxicology Department bar in Berwick at about 6:15 p.m. Saturday. In a release, Pennsylvania State Police identified the driver as 24-year-old Adrian Oswaldo Sura Reyes. He was arraigned early Sunday morning on two counts of criminal homicide.

It wasn't immediately clear whether he had a lawyer to comment on his behalf.

More:Woman's body not found for hours after dying in rollover crash

More:Pink and white matter among the more colorful violations at area restaurant

More:Repair to damaged Queen Street overpass to cost $600K — and PennDOT is suing trucking company to foot the bill

He was taken into custody after authorities received a call about an assault in nearby Nescopeck. Responding troopers found a woman dead.

The identities of the deceased weren't immediately released.

The bar was holding a fundraiser for those touched by an Aug. 5 blaze that killed seven adults and three children in Nescopeck, the station reported.

The circumstances surrounding Saturday evening's crash were not immediately clear, including whether there was any connection to the fire or the fundraising effort.

The first funerals for victims of the fire were held Friday, and more were scheduled for Sunday and Monday. Authorities have said the fire's cause remains under investigation.