UPPER DARBY, Pa. – Authorities say a southeastern Pennsylvania toddler was revived after chewing on a packet of opioids he found in the family home.

Upper Darby police said the 16-month-old was rushed to the hospital after he was found unconscious inside the home a few blocks from the police station at about 5:30 p.m. Monday.

Hospital officials administered the anti-overdose drug naloxone. KYW-TV reports that the child was then transferred to the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia and listed in guarded condition.

Upper Darby police said in a message on social media that the child had ingested “drugs left behind by (a) household member.” They said “The scourge of heroin almost claimed another life.”

Show Thumbnails
Show Captions


Read or Share this story: