LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE

MONESSEN, Pa. – A high school football game in western Pennsylvania was canceled after one of the school districts said it received word of a possible threat against players.

Monessen officials said the Charleroi Area School District contacted them Friday about “a threat directed towards our student athletes.” Monessen was to host the season-opening game of the WPIAL rivals.

Charleroi officials said the decision to call off the game was made “to ensure the health, safety and welfare of students, faculty, spectators and all community stakeholders attending the event.”

Monessen Superintendent Leanne Spazak said the game will not be rescheduled. The district’s head football coach said many of his players were left tearful after they found out the game had been canceled.

More: Man arrested after allegedly threatening a mass shooting at Penn State's Beaver Stadium

 

Read or Share this story: https://www.yorkdispatch.com/story/news/local/pennsylvania/2018/08/27/football-game-canceled-possible-threat/37618557/