Join the Conversation
To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the Conversation Guidelines and FAQs
Jury: Firm not liable for burns blamed on exploding body wax
SCRANTON, Pa. — A jury says a New York company isn’t responsible for burns a northeastern Pennsylvania woman said were caused by a bottle of exploding body wax.
Kelsey Ouelette sued in 2014, two years after she says she was badly burned by the hair-removal kit.
The (Scranton) Times-Tribune reports a jury sided with Coty US LLC, the New York City company that made the body wax.
Ouelette, who was 17 at the time, said the wax bottle erupted and exploded after she heated it in her microwave oven for 40 seconds, as directed.
An expert for the company testified it was scientifically impossible for the wax to have become hot enough to explode that fast.
The verdict was returned Wednesday.