SUBSCRIBE NOW
$5 for 3 months. Save 83%.
SUBSCRIBE NOW
$5 for 3 months. Save 83%.

Jury: Firm not liable for burns blamed on exploding body wax

The Associated Press

SCRANTON, Pa. — A jury says a New York company isn’t responsible for burns a northeastern Pennsylvania woman said were caused by a bottle of exploding body wax.

A former swim coach has agreed to a tentative plea deal for allegedly having an inappropriate relationship with a swimmer.

Kelsey Ouelette sued in 2014, two years after she says she was badly burned by the hair-removal kit.

The (Scranton) Times-Tribune reports a jury sided with Coty US LLC, the New York City company that made the body wax.

Ouelette, who was 17 at the time, said the wax bottle erupted and exploded after she heated it in her microwave oven for 40 seconds, as directed.

An expert for the company testified it was scientifically impossible for the wax to have become hot enough to explode that fast.

The verdict was returned Wednesday.