SUBSCRIBE NOW
$5 for 3 months. Save 83%.
SUBSCRIBE NOW
$5 for 3 months. Save 83%.

Chicago mayor’s aide attacked at vigil for two shot by police

The Associated Press

CHICAGO — The latest in the case of the Chicago police officer charged in the fatal 2014 shooting of a teenager (all times local):

11:20 a.m.

An aide to Mayor Rahm Emanuel has been assaulted while attending a vigil for two people who were fatally shot by Chicago police.

A police spokesman says a man approached the 50-year-old staff member at a Sunday vigil for 19-year-old Quintonio LeGrier and 55-year-old Bettie Jones. The man cursed the mayor, then punched and kicked the male aide.

Police say no one was arrested.

Emanuel spokesman Adam Collins said Tuesday the office is aware of an “altercation” involving a mayoral staffer. Collins says, “We take this matter very seriously and the incident is under review.”

LeGrier and Jones were shot and killed by police early Saturday after officers responded to a report of a domestic disturbance.

Police have said LeGrier was “combative” toward officers before he was shot and Jones, a neighbor, was accidentally hit by gunfire.

———

10:30 a.m.

The defense attorney for the white Chicago officer charged with murder in the death of a black teenager says “more education” for officers is a good thing.

Defense attorney Dan Herbert said that Officer Jason Van Dyke, who pleaded not guilty to the charges on Tuesday, is “hanging in there” and wants to tell his side of the story so that he’s not seen “as this cold-blooded killer.”

Herbert also said that they haven’t ruled out asking for a change of venue.

Van Dyke shot 17-year-old Laquan McDonald 16 times in October 2014. The city released squad car video of the shooting, which set off weeks of protests and led to the forced resignation of Chicago’s police superintendent and a federal investigation of department practices.

Herbert also said that policy changes in the Chicago Police Department, including more education, would be beneficial.

Cook County attorneys were not available for comment after the arraignment.

———

10 a.m.

A white Chicago police officer who shot a black teenager 16 times has pleaded not guilty to murder charges.

Jason Van Dyke appeared in Cook County Criminal court Tuesday in Chicago.

Prosecutors announced last month they were charging Van Dyke with six counts of murder for the 2014 shooting of 17-year-old Laquan McDonald.

Hours later, the city released squad car video of the shooting in which McDonald is seen veering away from Van Dyke before the veteran officer opens fire. Police have said McDonald had a knife.

The footage set off weeks of protests and led to the forced resignation of Chicago’s police superintendent and a federal investigation of department practices.

Van Dyke, who is no longer being paid, has been free since posting bond.

Van Dyke’s lawyer has said the officer “absolutely” can defend himself in court.

———

1 a.m.

A white Chicago police officer charged with murder in the shooting death of a black teenager is expected to enter a plea at an arraignment.

Jason Van Dyke’s hearing is scheduled for Tuesday morning in Chicago. The veteran officer faces six counts of first-degree murder and one of official misconduct in the 2014 shooting of 17-year-old Laquan McDonald.

Public outcry has been furious since a dashcam video was released last month showing Van Dyke shooting McDonald 16 times. The teenager, armed with a knife, was veering away from officers when Van Dyke opened fire.

The footage sparked days of street demonstrations, the forced resignation of Police Superintendent Garry McCarthy and a broad federal civil rights investigation of the police department’s practices and how allegations of officer misconduct are handled.