PennDOT highlights construction projects in York County area, including I-83 upgrades
With a new on-ramp to Interstate 83 at North George Street in York City as a backdrop, PennDOT revealed a list of the transportation projects that will be started or completed in 2023.
“Fixing and maintaining Pennsylvania highways and bridges has become a top priority of Gov. (Josh) Shapiro’s administration,” said District 8 Executive Kevin Keefe. “To achieve that goal and build upon the progress we have already made, we have another busy construction season planned for our district this year.”
The state Department of Transportation's District 8 alone will have 113 projects in its region, which encompasses York, Adams, Cumberland, Dauphin, Franklin, Lancaster, Lebanon and Perry counties. The estimated value of those projects, Keefe said, is more than $640 million. Those projects include 186 miles of paving and 55 bridges that will either be preserved or rebuilt and 1,100 miles of crack sealing.
Work on one of the bridges being replaced started Wednesday in York County. The bridge replacement project on Eberts Lane that spans Mill Creek, which will cost just over $10 million, is expected to be completed in June 2024.
Traffic will be detoured. Traffic traveling northbound on Eberts Lane should turn left on Frederic Avenue, right on Sherman Street and right on 11th Avenue to return to Eberts Lane. Traffic traveling southbound on Eberts Lane should travel west on 11th Avenue, turn right on Sherman Street, right on eastbound Route 30, right on North Hills Road, and right on westbound Route 462 (Market/Harrison/Philadelphia), to Eberts Lane.
The project will allow Mill Creek to be relocated so Interstate 83 can be widened.
MORE:Wildfire threat prompts Red Flag Warning amid unseasonably dry conditions
MORE:Tensions mount in spat over possible warehouse near Prospect Hill Cemetery
MORE:Spangler seeking history as York County Match Play bowling tournament returns
District 8 expects to bid out 87 other projects — including 11 in York County — this year, Keefe said. The total value of the 87 projects is $534 million.
One of the projects expected to be completed this year in York County is the new on-ramp from North George Street to I-83 North. The project, which is expected to cost $12.4 million and began in the spring of 2020, is being done by Kinsley Construction.
The new on-ramp should improve safety for motorists trying to get on I-83 in that area, Keefe said.
As part of that project, Keefe said, I-83 will be resurfaced from North George Street to the Locust Lane overpass.
All of the local projects are tied to the North York Widening Initiative of I-83. The Federal Infrastructure Bill is helping to pay for the projects getting underway this year, Keefe said.
“It will benefit those who use, live, work and do business in the region for years to come,” Keefe said.
>> Please consider subscribing to support local journalism.
Maintaining safe roadways, Keefe said, also helps maintain the economic vitality of the area.
Repairs on the Queen Street bridge are also set to take place this year. The bridge, which passes over I-83, was struck twice by large trucks in 2022 in a matter of six months.
A truss was placed on the bridge to stabilize it after it was hit in January 2022 and kept the bridge stable after it was hit the second time in June of that year.
Keefe said fabrication of beams to fix the Queen Street bridge has been completed and some of the work on that span will be starting soon and should be completed by late summer. The estimated cost of the repairs is between $1 million and $1.5 million.
Keefe said those repairs will have an impact on I-83 traffic because the highway will have to be shut down northbound and southbound at various times to make the repairs.
PennDOT has 21 projects that are officially underway in York County. That includes State Route 1013 over Conewago Creek, Blue Hill Road Bridge on State Route 3058, Pierceville Run Tributary bridge on State Route 216, Mt. Zion Road at the Sherman Street Exit on State Route 24, Lewisbury Road Resurfacing on State Route 114, Crossroads Avenue Bridge on State Route 2079, U.S. 15 Resurfacing, Allison Mill Road Bridge 1 on State Route 3035, Miller Road Bridge on State Route 2051, Bryansville Road Bridge on State Route 851, Market Street Bridge over Mill Creek on State Route 462, Main Street Resurfacing on State Route 616, Accomac Road Repair on State Route 1037, Tyler Run Road Resurfacing on State Route 3056, West Minster Avenue Bridge on State Route 3073 and Kreutz Creek Road emergency repair on State Route 1014.
There are many projects that went out for bid earlier this year. They include:
- Partial reconstruction of the SR 1033 over relocated Mill Creek and Eberts Lane over Mill Creek in Springettsbury and Spring Garden Township.
- Resurfacing PA-24 (Mt Zion Rd) from 800' north Pleasant Valley Rd to SR 1033 (Sherman St Ext.), SR 1012 (Mundis Mill Rd) and SR 1033 (Sherman St Ext.) in Springettsbury Township.
- Bridge rehabilitation on State Route 1013 over Conewago Creek in Newberry Township.
- Bridge preservation on State Route 4015 (Colonial Road) over Davidsburg Run in Dover Township.
Projects going out for bid later this year include:
- Bridge rehabilitation on PA 116 (York Road) over a Tributary to Codorus Creek in North Codorus Township.
- Resurfacing PA 74 (Delta Road) from Chanceford Rd to Slab Rd in Lower Chanceford.
- Demoing off of Exit 24 South Bound Ramp of I-83 in Manchester Township.
- Pedestrian improvements on Chestnut Street (SR 4026) from the borough line to Clemens Drive in Dillsburg Borough, York County.
- Resurfacing and removal of York Rail tracks (York RR DOT#540847) PA 194 (Broadway Street) from PA 116 (York Street) to SR 3072 (Moulstown Road) in Hanover Borough.
- Resurfacing SR 1003 (Old York Road) from Cumberland County Line to SR 1005 (Marsh Run Road) in Fairview Township.
- Intersection improvement (roundabout) at SR 462 with SR 624 (Hellam Street), North and South Second Streets in Wrightsville Borough. Also includes bike/pedestrian connection from the bridge/intersection to the river park and trail.
- Bridge replacement on State Route 2079 (Red Lion Avenue) over Muddy Creek North Branch in Felton Borough.
- Bridge replacement on State Route 3001 (George Street) over Tyler's Run in York Township.
- Bridge rehabilitation on SR 177 over Beaver Creek and Pinchot Lake in Warrington Township.
- Concrete Pavement Repair and Resurfacing PA-24 (Mt Zion Rd) from PA-462 to 800' north Pleasant Valley Rd, SR 8008 Ramps, in Springettsbury Township.
- Highway restoration on Lincoln Highway (US 30) from Lincoln Highway over Willis Run to George Street (PA 181) in Manchester Township, West Manchester Township, York City.
- Highway safety patrol on I-83 from Exit 16 to Exit 24 and US 30 from PA 24 Exit to PA 74 Exit in the City of York, North York Borough, York, Spring Garden, Springettsbury, Manchester and West Manchester Townships.
- Resurface SR 3075 from I-83 to SR 3054(Country Club Road) in York Township, Spring Garden Township and York City.
- Resurface SR 4001(Roosevelt Avenue) at the intersection with US 30 in Manchester and West Manchester Townships and York City.
- Bridge replacement on State Route 2050 (Century Farms Road) over Muddy Creek in Chanceford Township.