Hanover fire chief: Firework caused blaze that displaced two Penn Twp. families
A single firework caused about $65,000 in damage and displaced two Penn Township families on Sunday, according to Hanover Area Fire & Rescue Chief Anthony Clousher.
Crews arrived at the blaze at 10:16 a.m. Sunday on Westminster Avenue near the intersection of Hartman Avenue in Penn Township and finished up around 12:30 p.m.
“It was pretty hot yesterday, so we called for a second alarm for additional staff so we could rotate our crews in and out without risking their health with the heat," Clousher said.
The blaze originated outside after a resident set off a firework that landed in a pile of nearby belongings, the fire chief said. The fire then spread to the home — which is a duplex shared by two separate families.
Two adults living on one side are being assisted by the local Red Cross chapter, while the other family of one adult and three children made other arrangements.
No one was injured in the fire, Clousher said.
The duplex suffered extensive fire damage to the back of one unit, in addition to minor smoke and water damage to the other unit, he added.
“It was an accident, but (the firework) got into that pile of stuff," Clousher said.
— Reach Tina Locurto at firstname.lastname@example.org or on Twitter at @tina_locurto.