911: Substance found in air Sunday evening in Springettsbury Twp.

Tina Locurto
York Dispatch
Firefighters respond to a neighborhood that was evacuated due to a gas leak Monday, March 9, 2020. All residents of the first block of Kevin Drive in Jackson Township were evacuated from their homes Monday because of a gas leak, according to York County 911.  Bill Kalina photo

Emergency crews were called to Springettsbury Township for reports of a substance in the air Sunday evening, according to York County 911.

Officials are working to determine the cause of the hazmat incident that was first reported around 7:30 p.m. Sunday in the 100 block of South Keesey Street, 911 said.

Crews cleared the scene by 9:30 p.m. 

Initially, the odor was suspected to be natural gas, but after further investigation by Columbia Gas of Pennsylvania, hydrogen sulfide was detected in the area, according to Russell Bedell, a spokesperson for Columbia Gas.

"Our service tech found no natural gas readings, but our equipment did detect hydrogen sulfide," Bedell said. "We notified the fire department, who then contacted the local sewer company to investigate the cause of the hydrogen sulfide odor."

This article will be updated once more information is available.

— Reach Tina Locurto at tlocurto@yorkdispatch.com or on Twitter at @tina_locurto.