York City firefighters rescue two people, dog from blaze Monday morning
Firefighters rescued two people and a dog who were trapped on the second floor of a burning home, according to York City Fire Chief Chad Deardorff.
First responders were sent to the 200 block of Roosevelt Avenue just before 6 a.m. after two homes caught fire.
While the fire was put out in an hour with no difficulties, Deardorff said extra precautions had to be taken because a man and a woman were trapped inside the home.
"Obviously your tactics and operations change when we have civilians in the building," Deardorff said. "They also did pull a dog out, and the dog was fine and given oxygen."
While both adults were initially sent to York Hospital for smoke inhalation, the woman was flown to Lehigh Valley Hospital for precautions concerning respiratory burns, the chief said.
Deardorff added that an overloaded electrical circuit caused an estimated $185,000 in damage to the two homes.
By 8:30 a.m., crews had cleared the scene, opening up Roosevelt Avenue between Linden Avenue and Philadelphia Street.
The Red Cross will be assisting the two people with housing, according to Deardorff.
— Reach Tina Locurto at email@example.com or on Twitter at @tina_locurto.