SUBSCRIBE NOW
$5 for 3 months. Save 83%.
SUBSCRIBE NOW
$5 for 3 months. Save 83%.

Smoke detectors saved lives of Springetts family and dogs, fire officials said

Liz Evans Scolforo
York Dispatch
This is one of the smoke detectors that York Area United Fire and Rescue officials said saved the lives of a Springettsbury Twp. family and their dogs on Thursday, Oct. 8, 2020. Despite the damage to this detector, it was still able to keep beeping, officials said.

Working smoke detectors saved the lives of a Springettsbury Township family and their pets on Thursday morning, according to fire officials.

York Area United Fire and Rescue firefighters were called to Camberlay Drive in the township's Stonewood neighborhood about 7:35 a.m. and found fire in the basement of the home, YAUFR officials said in a news release.

The home's occupants were asleep but were awakened by their smoke detectors and were able to get themselves and one of their dogs outside safely, officials said.

"In this case, we are confident that the smoke alarms in this home saved the lives of the residents and their dogs," the statement reads. "Without these functional detectors, the outcome of our incident today may have been dramatically different."

The residents called 911, and fire crews made it to the scene quickly, according to YAUFR Battalion Chief John Woods.

"One dog was rescued from the basement by a firefighter" and was given oxygen at the scene, Woods said. "The dog is fine."

YAUFR officials noted that October is National Fire Safety Month and urged people to make sure there are working smoke detectors on every floor of their home.

YAUFR and other local firefighters kept the fire from spreading beyond the basement, which sustained about $75,000 in damage, officials said.

Aggressive attack: "They made a very aggressive attack on the fire," Woods said. "They had it knocked down within five minutes."

It appears the fire was started by a frayed extension cord that overheated and smoldered, he said.

The two people living at the residence and their dogs are displaced for now, Woods said, and Red Cross officials were called to the scene to assist the family.

This is one of the smoke detectors that York Area United Fire and Rescue officials said saved the lives of a Springettsbury Twp. family on Oct. 8, 2020.

Woods said YAUFR has a smoke detector giveaway program for residents of Springettsbury, Spring Garden and Manchester townships. Other fire departments and companies around York County have similar programs.

"Based on availability, we will send a fire crew out and even install them if need be," he said.

For more information about getting a smoke detector from YAUFR, email PublicEducation@yaufr.com.

Fire crews were on scene for about two hours doing overhaul, Woods said.

— Reach senior crime reporter Liz Evans Scolforo at levans@yorkdispatch.com or on Twitter at @LizScolforoYD.

>>Like what you’re reading? Not a subscriber? Click here for full access to The York Dispatch’s hard-hitting news, local sports and entertainment.