SUBSCRIBE NOW
$1 for 3 months. Save 97%.
SUBSCRIBE NOW
$1 for 3 months. Save 97%.

York City fire displaces 4 people and hair salon, but crews save trapped cat

Liz Evans Scolforo
York Dispatch

Four people and a hair salon were displaced after a two-alarm blaze damaged a York City building Monday morning.

York City Fire Chief Chad Deardorff told The York Dispatch that firefighters were called to the 300 block of West Market Street just after 10 a.m. Monday.

No one was hurt, he said.

Firefighters saved a cat from the burning building after being alerted by a tenant that it was inside, according to Deardorff.

The building has five apartments, plus a first-floor commercial space, he said.

The four residents who lived there are now being assisted by the Greater Pennsylvania Region chapter of the American Red Cross, the chief said.

The first floor held Luxe and Mane hair salon.

Firefighters could see fire and smoke coming from the building's first floor and determined flames had spread up to the second and third floors as well, according to Deardorff.

Fire started on a first-floor exterior wall, sparked by a carelessly discarded cigarette. The flames then traveled up an interior void space, the fire chief said.

Hidden flames: Crews mounted an interior attack and brought the blaze under control in about an hour, Deardorff said, adding it took about another full hour to extinguish the fire.

"There was a lot of hidden fire," he said. "We pulled walls and ceilings apart to get to it all."

>>Like what you’re reading? Not a subscriber? Click here for full access to The York Dispatch’s hard-hitting news, local sports and entertainment.

The building is salvageable, but it sustained significant smoke and water damage — plus, all of the building's kitchens were damaged on all three floors, according to Deardorff, who estimated structural damage at $350,000 and content damage at $50,000.

Four adults have been displaced by a fire in the 300 block of West Market Street, Monday, May 4, 2020. According to York City Fire Chief Chad Deardorff, it is suspected that the fire started outside the building due to discarded smoking items, and traveled up the wall through four floors. Red Cross is assisting the displaced.
John A. Pavoncello photo

Substantial repairs will have to be made before residents can move back in, he said.

Although the fire was accidental, investigators are reviewing security footage to see if they can identify the person whose cigarette butt caused the blaze, according to Deardorff.

— Reach senior crime reporter Liz Evans Scolforo at levans@yorkdispatch.com or on Twitter at @LizScolforoYD.