York YMCA to take part in nationwide immigrant 'Welcoming Week'
The YMCA of York County next month will partake in a nationwide celebration of immigrants' contributions to society with a variety of events.
The celebration, known as "Welcoming Week," will take place from Friday, Sept. 13, to Friday, Sept. 20, with events to welcome immigrants and new residents to the area that include education, arts food and music.
"When we pull our strength and share the work and responsibility, we can welcome many people, even those in deep distress, and perhaps help them find self-confidence and stability,” said Jose Santiago, director of the New American Welcome Center.
The following events will take place throughout the week:
- Friday, Sept. 13: Pedicab tours from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the York YMCA
- Monday, Sept. 16: Proclamation and panel discussion beginning at 5:30 p.m. at the Old County Courthouse
- Tuesday, Sept. 17: Teen event beginning at 5 p.m. at Martin Library
- Wednesday, Sept. 18: Interfaith dialogue from noon to 6 p.m. at the York YMCA
- Thursday, Sept. 19: Parade of nations beginning at 5:30 p.m. at PeoplesBank Park
- Friday, Sept. 20: Naturalization ceremony beginning at 10 a.m. at the Old Court Courthouse.
Those seeking more information should go to the York YMCA website, yorkcoymca.org/welcoming-week-2019/ or contact Jose Santiago at firstname.lastname@example.org.
— Logan Hullinger can be reached at email@example.com or via Twitter at @LoganHullYD.