York City fire officials: Yorktown Mall stores unsafe after Friday morning blaze
Friday afternoon update:
YORK CITY — Oily rags at Panaderia Bakery caused the Friday morning blaze at Yorktown Mall, city officials said.
Investigators on Friday determined oil-soaked rags spontaneously combusted in the rear of the bakery, according to York City spokesman Phillip Given in a release. The fire was deemed accidental, he said.
The fire at the Yorktown Mall in the 100 block of North Duke Street was reported around 4:50 a.m. Aug. 23, according to York County’s Department of Emergency Services. Crews arrived to find smoke pouring through the mall's roof.
Nine stores sustained an estimated $5 million in damages, Given said.
One man, the owner of Panaderia Bakery, was transported to the hospital and treated for smoke inhalation.
The fire was investigated by the City of York Department of Fire/Rescue Services, York County District Attorney’s Office Fire Marshal, Pennsylvania State Police and the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms.
Crews are at the scene of a three-alarm fire that broke out early Friday morning at a shopping center on North Duke Street in York City.
The fire at the Yorktown Mall in the 100 block of North Duke Street was reported around 4:50 a.m. Aug. 23, according to York County’s Department of Emergency Services.
The owner of Panaderia Bakery, where the fire originated, was taken to a hospital due to smoke inhalation, said York City Fire Chief Chad Deardorff. He was the only person injured.
The shopping center houses the bakery, a CTown Supermarket, a Family Dollar store and a variety of other businesses.
By 9 a.m., all of the shopping center stores visible from outside the building had been marked condemned and unsafe.
CTown Supermarket, Family Dollar and Hair Depot were marked unsafe due to smoke damage, Deardorff said. The remaining businesses are expected to be closed for a longer period of time due to structural damage to the roof.
The bakery's windows were blown out and much of the decor had been destroyed. There was also extensive ceiling damage.
A portion of the mall entrance area also was damaged.
Check back for more information.