UPDATE: Some of York County's flooded roads reopening
Some of the York County roads that were closed Friday morning because of flooding were reopened by noon.
Freysville Road in Hellam Township and Big Mount Road in Paradise Township are now passable. However, PennDOT's traffic website, 511pa.com, reports that these local roads are still closed:
- The Susquehanna Trail in Conewago Township is closed in both directions between Zimmys Drive and Grandview Drive.
- Conewago Creek Road is closed between Bowers Bridge Road and George Street in Conewago Township.
- Tunnel Hill Road is closed in both directions between Hendel Road and Days Mill Road in North Codorus Township.
- Route 616 is closed in both directions between West College Avenue and Route 30 in North Codorus Township.
- Indian Rock Dam Road is closed at the Heritage Rail Trail in Spring Garden Township.
Fritzi Schreffler, a PennDOT spokeswoman, said Friday morning that it's not clear when the roads will reopen.
She said PennDOT officials were waiting for the water to recede before they can inspect the roads.
Flooding: Victor Colon, who lives along Conewago Road in Dover Township, said he found the road flooded Friday morning.
He said there is a 5-foot drop from the guardrail on the road to the creek.
"It has gone up above that 5-foot drop, and another 2 to 3 feet over the road," he said.
Colon has lived there for three years, and he's never seen the water submerge the guardrail. He said he's seen flooding there, but not this bad.
"This is a good 3- to 4-foot over what it normally would be (for flooding)," he said.
Colon said he's safely gone through the roadway when it's been lightly flooded before, which isn't a problem for him because he drives a bigger truck. But Friday morning, when he was going to take his wife to work and his kids to school, things were different.
“That is so much water — I would never risk that," he said.
The National Weather Service reported between 2.4 and 3.2 inches of rain was recorded throughout York County between Thursday and Friday.