SUBSCRIBE NOW
$1 for 3 months. Save 97%.
SUBSCRIBE NOW
$1 for 3 months. Save 97%.

VIDEO: Garage fire in Hallam Borough brings out 30 firefighters, causes $35,000 in damage

Logan Hullinger
York Dispatch

Roughly 30 firefighters from eight different fire departments, led by Hellam Fire Co., spent 20 minutes Tuesday controlling a garage fire in Hallam borough.

Hellam Fire Co. was dispatched at 9:18 p.m. Tuesday, March 19, to 178 West Market St. after a fire started from an individual draining gasoline from his motorcycle near a kerosene heater, said Chief Eric Strittmatter.

The company was already on call for a car crash at East Market Street and North Wilson Lane, from which the orange glow of the fire could be seen. 

More:Chickens killed in Codorus Township barn fire

More:Police: Drunk Codorus Twp. man fired gun in home

The fire took 20 minutes to get under control, and the firefighters spent another hour extinguishing hot spots. The process was lengthened because of the unstable structure, which was made of old, dry wood, Strittmatter said.

The fire did not spread to the home, but it did graze the wall of a neighboring garage, causing minimal damages. The total damages are estimated at $35,000.

— Logan Hullinger can be reached at lhullinger@yorkdispatch.com or via Twitter at @LoganHullYD.