Three displaced in York City row home fire
One adult and two children were displaced by a fire in the 200 block of Kurtz Avenue. John Pavoncello, 717-505-5449/@Jpavoncello
A woman and two children were displaced Wednesday morning after a fire damaged their row house in York City.
Crews were called to a row house in the 200 block of Kurtz Avenue about 9:55 a.m. Wednesday, March 6.
York City Fire Chief Chad Deardorff said the boyfriend of the woman who lives there stopped by to drop off some things, opened the door, and found smoke coming from the home.
He called the fire in, according to Deardorff, who said the fire was contained to two rooms on the first floor of the three-story row house.
Deardorff said crews arrived to visible fire from inside the home. Firefighters had the blaze under control quickly — about 20 minutes, Deardorff said.
He said the fire was caused by an electrical malfunction in the basement that spread to the first floor.
Deardorff estimated the damage at $75,000. He said it is $50,000 in structural damage and $25,000 in contents.
The Red Cross is assisting the woman and two children displaced by the fire.