Contractor caused Spring Garden Twp. gas leak

Mount Rose Avenue was closed at Ogontz Street Tuesday, Feb. 5, 2019, for a gas leak. John A. Pavoncello photo

Some Spring Garden Township residents had to be evacuated from their homes after a contractor struck a gas line, causing a leak Tuesday afternoon.

Columbia Gas spokesman Russ Bedell said a third-party contractor putting in a street sign near Mount Rose Avenue and South Ogontz Street hit a gas main about 1:30 p.m. Tuesday, Feb. 5.

Bedell said 11 houses were evacuated in the area. The area was made safe about an hour later.

“We had to go house to house and retake readings to make sure there was no gas inside any of the homes,” Bedell said.

All residents were allowed back in their homes around 4:30 p.m.

The gas line was repaired a few hours later, he said.