Fire destroys Conewago Twp. mobile home
Despite needing just 10 minutes to bring a Conewago Township mobile-home fire under control, firefighters were unable to save it, Strinestown Community Fire Chief Frosty Wertz said.
"It's still standing," he told The York Dispatch on Tuesday, Dec. 18, after he cleared the scene of the fire.
But as Wertz noted, when one end of a trailer is burned out, "there's no way you can save it."
The blaze was reported at 8:54 a.m. Tuesday at a home in the Meadow Run Mobile Home Park, 5145 Susquehanna Trail North, officials said.
No one was hurt, the fire chief said, adding the man who lives there was at work at the time.
The resident didn't have any insurance on the mobile home or its contents, Wertz said.
"I strongly suggest people get insurance," he said, noting "we've had too many incidents" in which people whose homes burned had no insurance and were left with nothing.
The resident declined the assistance of The American Red Cross/Greater Pennsylvania region, according to Wertz.
Heat tape blamed: Wertz said his fire company's investigation determined the blaze was sparked by recently installed heat tape underneath the trailer.
"Sometimes it malfunctions," Wertz said of heat tape.
The now-displaced resident used the heating tape to wrap up pipes underneath his mobile home about a month ago, according to the chief.
After dousing the blaze, firefighters used fire-retardant foam to ensure no hot spots rekindled later, Wertz said.
Crews cleared the scene at 10:39 a.m., he said.
Assisting Strinestown Community Fire Co. at the scene were firefighters from Manchester borough's Union Fire Engine Co. No. 1, the Newberry Township Fire Department and Rescue Fire Co. of Dallastown.
To donate to the Red Cross, send checks or money orders to the Red Cross' "Fire Hurts, Red Cross Helps" campaign, 724 S. George St., York PA 17401. Or donate online at www.redcross.org/donate/donation.
— Reach Liz Evans Scolforo at firstname.lastname@example.org or on Twitter at @LizScolforoYD.