LinkedIn11COMMENT11MORE11

An accidental fire in the kitchen of a Shrewsbury pizza shop caused damage and displaced residents in upstairs apartments, according to a fire official.

Shrewsbury Volunteer Fire Chief Tony Myers said the electrical fire at Sal's Pizza, 437 S. Main St., on Wednesday, Oct. 24, will close the shop for a few days.

Crews were sent to the shop just before 11 a.m., and Myers said there was a fire to the rear of the first floor. 

Myers said employees were arriving at the shop for work when they saw smoke from the back of the building. The employees called 911, according to the chief.

“There was no one inside the building at the time," he said. 

More: Glen Rock junior firefighter's 1st call was to his own burning home

More: Chief: Mom saves son from Shrewsbury Twp. ceiling collapse

The chief said it took about 30 minutes to get the fire under control. It was contained to the rear of the kitchen and a little bit into the second-floor apartments.

The entirety of the building has smoke damage, he said. The residents of the two upstairs apartments are temporarily displaced while the smoke is cleared up, Myers said.

They are staying with family members in the meantime, he said.

"The building will be closed for a couple days while they clean up," he said.

Myers said firefighters from New Freedom, Glen Rock, Maryland Line, Dallastown and York Township assisted in fighting the fire. No one was injured in the fire.

It's unclear how long Sal's Pizza will remain closed. No one answered the phone at the shop when a reporter called Wednesday afternoon.

— Reach Christopher Dornblaser at cdornblaser@yorkdispatch.com or on Twitter at @YDDornblaser.

 

 

LinkedIn11COMMENT11MORE11
Read or Share this story: https://www.yorkdispatch.com/story/news/local/2018/10/24/accidental-fire-damages-shrewsbury-pizza-shop/1752788002/