Worker in lift truck shocked by high-tension wire in Glen Rock
A worker painting the side of a Glen Rock apartment building suffered apparently serious injuries when he was shocked by a high-tension line over the weekend, a Glen Rock fire official said.
The painter was about 50 to 75 feet in the air when he was shocked, according to Glen Rock Fire Chief Ron McCullough.
It happened about 3:35 p.m. Sunday, Oct. 14, in the first block of Hanover Street, according to dispatch logs.
The worker was in a platform-type lift safety cage. He was painting when his back touched a high-tension line, McCullough said.
After being shocked, the man slumped down on the platform, the chief said.
He couldn't be rescued until the power was shut off, according to McCullough, who said a Met-Ed crew was on the scene in 10 or 15 minutes.
After the power was turned off, fire/rescue crews were able to use a fire bucket truck to rescue the man, who was then driven to Glen Rock Park and flown to a burn center in Baltimore, McCullough said.
"He was talking when we (took him to the helicopter)," the chief said, but he noted that electrical shocks can be debilitating and not dissimilar to microwave-type burns.
The man's name wasn't publicly released as of Monday.
— Reach Liz Evans Scolforo at firstname.lastname@example.org or on Twitter at @LizScolforoYD.