Chief: York City resident stands on ledge to escape fire

Firefighters rescue a resident from the third floor of a burning apartment building Tuesday, Oct. 2. Photo courtesy of York City Fire Department.

A third-floor resident of a York City apartment building had to stand on the ledge of his building to be rescued after fire blocked his escape, according to a fire official.

York City Fire Chief David Michaels said crews were able to get a ladder up to him and rescue him from the building in the first block of Jefferson Avenue early Tuesday, Oct. 2. The man was not injured.

More:Fire destroys vacant Lower Windsor Twp. home near river

More:Garage damaged in York City fire

“The gentlemen we got off the third floor, he had some smoke inhalation; he was just treated at the scene," Michaels said. 

At least six people were displaced by the fire, according to the chief, who said it was caused by an electrical problem in a ceiling fan. He estimated the damage at $50,000. 

Firefighters responded to a fire in the first block of Jefferson Avenue on Tuesday, Oct. 2. Photo courtesy of York City Fire Department.

Fire: Residents called 911 around 5:20 a.m. Tuesday, according to the chief.

“When we got there, we did have flames visible from the third floor,” he said.

Michaels said it took firefighters about 20 minutes to get the fire under control. He said the fire started between the second and third floor, and it rose to the third floor.

“The third-floor rear room was gutted by fire," he said.

He said the second floor had some water damage as well. 

All the residents of the home were displaced. Michaels said he believed there were three apartments in the building. One person lived on the third floor and five lived on the second floor, according to Michaels.

The chief said departments from North York, West York and Dover Township helped fight the fire. 

The Red Cross is assisting those displaced in the blaze.

— Reach Christopher Dornblaser at or on Twitter at @YDDornblaser.