Crews fight two York City fires over the holiday weekend
York City firefighters found themselves busy fighting two fires over the extended holiday weekend.
"Busy weekend, but fortunately we got to these fires quick and we were able to limit the damage," York City Fire Chief David Michaels said.
Memorial Day: Crews were called to the 700 block of School Place at about 2:20 p.m. on Memorial Day for a report of a structure fire at a duplex, according to the chief.
“When they got there they did have smoke coming from the third floor," Michaels said.
He said they had the fire under control in about five minutes.
“That fire actually was contained to a third-floor bedroom unit," Michaels said.
The room sustained fire damage, as well as smoke and water damage, according to the chief.
Michaels said officials do not know the cause of the fire.
“We actually have it undetermined right now, nothing suspicious — just undetermined,” Michaels said Tuesday, May 29.
Sunday: Firefighters earlier were called to the 1500 block of Wogan Road just after 5 a.m. Sunday, May 27, for a structure fire.
Officials arrived and found smoke coming from the eaves of home. They were able to extinguish the fire in a bedroom, according to Michaels.
The fire, he said, was caused by an extension cord. The blaze caused $35,000 in damage.
The Red Cross is assisting two adults and one child who were displaced by the fire.
— Reach Christopher Dornblaser at firstname.lastname@example.org or on Twitter at @YDDornblaser.