Fired Wrightsville Police chief reaches settlement with borough

Wrightsville Police. Christopher Dornblaser photo.

Nearly six months after Wrightsville officials voted to remove him, former Wrightsville Police Chief Ron Hege has reached a settlement with the borough.

Reached Tuesday, May 8, the borough's solicitor Sean Fields said that the borough and Hege had executed an agreement, and the matter is closed. Neither party will receive any money in the settlement.

Hege was suspended in August, and the borough council unanimously voted to remove him in November. In the nine months since Hege's suspension, borough officials have been quiet on what led to Hege's removal, and they cited personnel issues.

It now seems as though the reason behind Hege's removal will never be publicly disclosed by the borough.

More:Resolution possible for fired Wrightsville Police chief

More:Wrightsville officials vote to remove police chief

More:Fired Wrightsville police chief's appeal hearing canceled

Agreement: The agreement, obtained by The York Dispatch through a Right-to-Know Law request, states that borough officials are only allowed to provide the following answer when asked about Hege's employment:

"Mr. Hege served as Police Chief beginning on September 3, 2012, and ending on  November 6, 2017. It is the policy of the Borough to not reveal any further information concerning former employees beyond their title and dates of service."

Additionally, Hege's attorney, Joe Korsak, said he was unable to comment on why his client was removed from his position or what took so long in reaching an agreement. Fields said the borough would not be commenting further on the matter, which is part of the agreement.

Under the agreement, Hege agrees to withdraw his appeal and is not entitled to any further compensation or benefits from the borough. 

It also states that the borough agrees to release Hege from any and all legal claims, including claims regarding the possession, return or depreciation of personal property of the borough or its police department. 

Additionally, the borough will not pursue appeals regarding Hege's entitlement to unemployment compensation related to his separation with the borough.  

As part of the agreement, Hege and the borough agreed to not discuss the agreement or the events leading up to the agreement with any third party. Hege has also agreed not to sue the borough, according to the agreement.

The borough also agreed to discharge Hege from any actions, suits, debts, covenants, contracts, agreements, judgments, claims and demands connected to Hege's employment with the the borough, the agreement states.

By making the settlement, both the borough and Hege do not admit any violation of law, regulation or ordinance. They also do not admit to any validity to claims or potential claims that could have been raised by Hege. 

Tammie Hoff, the borough's secretary, and Eric White, the borough council president, signed the agreement on March 19. Hege signed the agreement on April 17.

The agreement went into effect eight days later, on April 25. Hege had seven days to revoke the settlement after he signed it.

Background: Mayor Michael Albert suspended Hege in August, and the council voted to remove him during November's borough council meeting.

Following Hege's removal appeal hearings were scheduled, but they were eventually canceled. Last month was the first time borough officials admitted publicly that Hege and the borough were working toward an agreement.

Since Hege's suspension, Adam Schaum, the department's senior officer, has been in charge of the department.

Fields said that Schaum remains the officer in charge. 

Albert has said the department is fully staffed with two part-time officers and three full-time officers.

— Reach Christopher Dornblaser at or on Twitter at @YDDornblaser.