Two displaced in Springettsbury Township fire

A cigarette caused a fire that displaced two people from a townhouse in Springettsbury Township over the weekend, according to a fire official.

York Area United Fire and Rescue Battalion Chief Jay Van Pelt said a fire that occured in the 400 block of Marion Road at about 12:30 p.m. Sunday, April 29, caused about $50,000 in damage.

The fire started in the third floor of the three-story townhouse, and firefighters were able to keep the blaze from spreading, according to the chief.

A fire in a Springettsbury Township townhouse displaced two people Sunday, April 29, according to a fire official. Photo courtesy of the Southern PA Incident Network,


More:Two displaced in Dover Twp. farmhouse fire

More:Dartmouth Road fire deemed accidental

Van Pelt said firefighters arrived and found fire coming from the window of the third floor of the home. It took officials about 10 minutes to get in under control, he said.

The fire did not spread to the adjoining homes, and was contained to the third floor, Van Pelt said. 

He said the third floor has extensive fire damage, and the first and second floors have water damage.

On Sunday he said based on one of the occupants' statements, it looks as though the fire was caused by a discarded cigarette. 

At the time of the fire there were four people inside, and they reported the fire, according to Van Pelt. He said two people were visiting the home during the fire, and only two people live there.

The Red Cross is assisting those displaced in the blaze.

— Reach Christopher Dornblaser at or on Twitter at @YDDornblaser.