Join the Conversation
To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the Conversation Guidelines and FAQs
Quick stop to W. Manchester chimney fire, chief says
A chimney fire in a West Manchester Township home has left residents displaced, but only for a short time, the fire chief said.
Fire Chief Clif Laughman said crews were called to a single-family home in the 100 block of Evergreen Lane about 12:20 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 28.
Flames from a chimney fire had extended into a wall, he said.
"We were able to put a stop to it before it got any further," Laughman said. "We're thinking there was a crack in the flue, but we're not sure."
No one was hurt, according to the chief, who estimated damage at $40,000 to $50,000.
Residents might have to stay in a hotel until a small area of a wall is boarded up, he said, but otherwise the home remains livable.
The York-Adams Chapter of the American Red Cross is assisting the residents, the chief confirmed.
Assisting West Manchester crews at the scene were firefighters from Dover, Nashville, West York and North Codorus Township, Laughman said.
— Reach Liz Evans Scolforo at email@example.com or on Twitter at @LizScolforoYD.