Voting opens for 2017 Ray Crenshaw Awards
Yorkers can cast votes for their favorite York City musicians, artists, athletes and restaurants to determine who goes home with the trophies at the 2017 Ray Crenshaw Neighborhood Awards.
York City Mayor Kim Bracey announced Thursday, Oct. 26, the top-three nominees for each of the 20 categories in the awards ceremony, which will be held at 6 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 4, at the Voni Grimes Gym on East College Avenue.
Tickets for the semi-formal event are $40 per person, with a portion of the proceeds to be used for renovations at the Voni Grimes Gym, according to a news release. Tickets can be purchased at York City Hall, 101 S. George St.
Nominees: All but one of the 20 categories have three nominees, with the top vote-getter taking home the prize. Several of the award nominees will be defending their titles after winning at the 2016 Ray Crenshaw Neighborhood Awards.
- Best School Teacher: Brian Irons, Lenee Shaw, Amy Seiple — all three are teachers in the York City School District.
- Best Service Professional: York City Fire Department, York City Police Department, White Rose Ambulance — the York City Fire Department won the award last year.
- Best Photographer: Lawrence Taylor, Anthony Beard, Mike Sutherland — Taylor won the award last year.
- Best Singer: Brunilda Hopkins, Carman Bryant, Danica Shirey.
- Best Rap & Hip Hop: Jimmy Harris, Terrell “Nakuu” Bryant, Z.Rich (Phene).
- Best Poet: Carla Christopher, Jerald “Proc” Proctor, Dustin Nispel — Proctor won the award last year.
- Best Church Choir: Bible Tabernacle Church Choir, Fairview Full Gospel Church Choir, Friendship Baptist Church Choir — Bible Tabernacle Church Choir won the award last year.
- Best Barbershop: Didi & Smiling Johns Traditional Barbershop & Salon, Tony Orr Sons & Daughters Barbershop, World A Cuts Barbershop — Tony Orr Sons & Daughters Barbershop won the award last year.
- Best Hair Salon: Beneath the Surface, Didi & Smiling Johns Traditional Barbershop & Salon, POB Studio II — Beneath the Surface won the award last year.
- Best Nail Salon: Kim’s Nails, T&V Nails, Som Nails.
- Best Beauty Supply Store: Golden Beauty Supply, Ace Discount.
- Best Apparel Store: The New Hub, Villa, Sweet Melissa’s — The New Hub won the award last year.
- Best Latin/Spanish Restaurant: Mi Caldero, York Fried Chicken, El Rodeo — Mi Caldero won the award last year.
- Best Restaurant: Rockfish Public House, York City Pretzel Co., White Rose & Bar Grill.
- Best Coffee Shop: Green Bean, I-ron-ic, Colonial Coffee Shop.
- Best Corner Store: Green Food Market, Bev’s Grocery Store, Martinez Grocery — Green Food Market won the award last year.
- Best Youth Program: Nook Raiders, St. Matthew Youth Program “The Matts,” YaYa Girls.
- Best Sports Coach: James Way, Kerry Glover, Russell Stoner — Glover won the award last year.
- Best Male Youth Athlete: Kerry Glover Jr., Kahlid Dorsey, Tobee Stokes — Glover Jr. won the award last year.
- Best Female Youth Athlete: Bre’Ajah Markle, Rajah Fink, Binky Redman.