Woman's death being treated as homicide by York City Police

Liz Evans Scolforo
York Dispatch
  • York County Coroner Pam Gay said foul play in the death of Queshantea Stephens cannot be ruled out at this point.

York City Police detectives are treating the death of a woman whose body was found next to an alley as a homicide, according to Lt. Troy Bankert.

The body of Queshantea Stephens, 39, of West Manchester Township, was found about 1 a.m. Tuesday, Aug. 29, at the edge of an alley behind the 700 block of West Princess Street, the York County Coroner's Office said.

Queshantea Stephens
(Facebook photo)

York County Coroner Pam Gay said rulings on the cause and manner of Stephens' death are pending. She described it as a "possible suspicious death."

An autopsy was performed Wednesday, Aug. 30, at Allentown's Lehigh Valley Hospital, but toxicology and tissue testing still needs to be done, she said, adding that's normally why death rulings are pended.

The coroner's office initially reported there were no visible signs of external trauma on Stephens' body

No stone 'unturned': After the autopsy, Gay told The York Dispatch that in some cases trauma can appear later.

"I'm not saying that's the case here," she warned. "We're not ruling anything out, but we're not going to leave any stone unturned."

Results of the testing will take a few weeks, she said.

"We'll probably have a clearer idea (what happened) at that point," Gay said. "Sometimes, although we don't have clear evidence of foul play (initially), later, things will indicate foul play.

"We can't rule out foul play at this time, and that's why we're treating this death as suspicious," Gay explained.

Son's homicide case: York City Police Chief Wes Kahley confirmed Stephens is the mother of Quayshawn Naylor-Wilson, who remains in York County Prison without bail, charged with the July 16 homicide of 20-year-old Angel Hernandez.

Naylor-Wilson's formal arraignment in York County court is scheduled for Sept. 22, according to court records.

His defense attorney, Heather Reiner, said she was informed by a prison official that a prison chaplain would notify the 20-year-old Naylor-Wilson of his mother's death.

Hernandez was shot in the back just after 4 a.m. in the 500 block of West Philadelphia Street, according to police.

The allegations: Police said Naylor-Wilson had accompanied Hernandez and others to a party early that morning — despite not knowing any of them — then fired on Hernandez after the group left the party.

Quayshawn Naylor-Wilson

Hernandez and his friends fled, with Naylor-Wilson allegedly giving chase and firing at least twice more, police said.

The shooting was spurred by a disagreement, according to Bankert.

Bankert said he could not yet release further details about the investigation into Stephens' death. That included fielding questions about whether Stephens' death could be related to her son's criminal charges.

More:Police: Man fatally shot after leaving party in York City

Family in flood: A Go Fund Me account seeking to raise $5,000 states that about the time of Stephens' death, her older sister, Quenickyia Wilson, was being saved from Hurricane Harvey in Texas.

Wilson, known as Nikky, and her family were saved by a rescue boat on Monday, the page states. Then on Tuesday morning, Wilson learned her sister had been found dead in York City, the page states.

Stephens, called "Bubbles" by those who knew her, has two sisters in Texas who are trying to raise funds to transport her body there for burial, according to the page.

For more information or to make a donation, visit www.gofundme.com/floating-home-on-a-prayer.

Anyone with information about how Stephens died is asked to call York City Police at 717-846-1234, or text "Yorktips" and your information to 847-411.

— Reach Liz Evans Scolforo at levans@yorkdispatch.com or on Twitter at @LizScolforoYD.