SUBSCRIBE NOW
As low as $49 for one year. Save 59%.
SUBSCRIBE NOW
As low as $49 for one year. Save 59%.

Blaze destroys East Manchester home, 3 displaced

Liz Evans Scolforo
York Dispatch

A house fire Thursday morning displaced three adults and destroyed an East Manchester Township home, a fire official said.

Crews were called to the home in the 4300 block of Board Road about 6:40 a.m. Thursday, Aug. 10, according to the York County 911 Center.

Three people were displaced when their home in the 4300 block of Board Road in E. Manchester Twp. was destroyed by fire on Thursday, Aug. 10, 2017, according to Assistant Fire Chief Tim Stevens of Union Fire Co.
(Photo courtesy of David Bowman)

Heavy smoke billowed from the home as firefighters arrived, said Assistant Fire Chief Tim Stevens of Union Fire Co.

It took about 30 firefighters two hours to bring the blaze under control, he said.

Hampering their efforts was the fact that the fire started in the basement, which was packed full of the residents' belongings, according to Stevens.

"We had to crawl over stuff and move stuff out of the way to get to the fire," he said. "And there was just one way in and one way out."

Heat trapped: There was no way for heat to escape, according to Stevens.

"That's what took out most of the basement," he said.

No one was hurt, and the three residents were out of the home when crews arrived. A man lived there with his elderly parents, Stevens said.

The house is believed to be a total loss, he said.

Stevens said Thursday afternoon that $200,000 is an early estimate for damage, but he noted the amount could be modified because the man's insurance company had not yet examined the damage.

Overloaded outlet: The fire was determined to be electrical in nature. Stevens said it started in an overloaded electrical outlet in the basement.

Fire destroyed this home in the 4300 block of Board Road in East Manchester Twp. on Thursday, Aug. 10, 2017, said Assistant Fire Chief Tim Stevens from Union Fire Co.
(Photo courtesy of Pamela Ellis)

A six-way extension cord was plugged into a duplex receptacle, he said, and all the plugs in the six-way cord were being used.

Because of the warm temperatures, firefighters had to be rotated out of duty and "rehabbed," meaning rehydrated and cooled off, so they didn't overheat, Stevens confirmed. That was done by ambulance crews from Manchester and Newberry townships.

The York-Adams Chapter of the American Red Cross is assisting the displaced family and was on scene providing refreshments to firefighters, he said.

Assisting Union Fire Co. at the scene were fire crews from York City, Mount Wolf, Manchester Township, York City, Strinestown and Wrightsvile, Stevens said.

— Reach Liz Evans Scolforo at levans@yorkdispatch.com or on Twitter at @LizScolforoYD.