Dog wardens to check York dogs for licenses, vaccinations
State dog wardens will be canvassing York County from April 24 to 28 to ensure dog owners have current licenses and rabies vaccinations, according to the state Department of Agriculture.
State law requires dogs three months and older to be licensed by the beginning of each year and vaccinated against rabies. Violators can be cited up to $300 per violation plus court costs.
The license fee is $6.50 for each spayed or neutered dog and $8.50 for other dogs. For senior citizens and persons with disabilities, those prices drop to $4.50 and $6.50, respectively, according to the department.
Dog owners can purchase licenses at www.doglicenses.us/pa/york, in person 8 a.m.-4 p.m. at the county treasurer's office or by mailing the application and payment to Treasurer Barbara Bair at 28 E. Market St., Room 126, York, 17401.
Licenses also can be purchased at one of the numerous dog agents across the county, which include:
- Agway Cape Horn Country, 3100 Cape Horn Road, Red Lion
- Agway West York, 2650 W. Market St., West York
- Cape Horn Veterinary Associates, 613 Lombard Road, Red Lion
- Delta Tags, Titles and Notary, 805 Main St., Delta
- Dennis Emmel, 315 Chestnut St., Delta
- Diller's Feed and Tack, 628 Saw Mill Road, Mechanicsburg
- Four Paws Pet Shop, 530 N. Constitution Ave., New Freedom
- Hill Street Veterinary Hospital, 555 Hill St.
- Jocelyn's Puppies and Pet Supplies, 10 Carlisle St., Hanover
- Nature's Pet Place, 1446 Baltimore St., Hanover
- Pet's Best Friend, 5771 Harmony Grove Road, Delta
- Stewartstown Veterinary Services (clients only), 2 Trout Lane, Stewartstown
- The Mill of Red Lion, 327 E. Broadway, Red Lion
- Walmart Hanover, 495 Eisenhower Dr., Hanover
- West York Bark, 1700 W. Philadelphia St., West York
- York County SPCA, 3159 N. Susquehanna Trail
Dog owners with current licenses are encouraged to inform the York County Treasurer's Office of address and phone number changes.