SUBSCRIBE NOW
$1 for 3 months. Save 97%.
SUBSCRIBE NOW
$1 for 3 months. Save 97%.

Chief: Jackson resident trying to thaw snowblower sparks fire

Alyssa Pressler
505-5438/@AlyssaPressYD

A Jackson Township resident trying to thaw his snowblower with a space heater accidentally set his detached garage ablaze Wednesday morning, according to a fire official.

Nashville Volunteer Fire Co. and other fire companies battle a garage fire on Wednesday, March 15, 2017.

Nashville Volunteer Fire Co. Chief Brad Dunham said the man placed the heater too close to combustibles, sparking a fire the chief estimated did $50,000 damage to the structure and contents.

Firefighters were at the 911 Hanover Road property from about 9 a.m. to 11 a.m., during which time they blocked off a portion of the road. Located between South Biesecker Road and Route 30, the fire did cause a traffic backup.

Nashville Volunteer Fire Co. Chief Brad Dunham walks away from a garage fire at 911 Hanover Rd. on Wednesday, March 15, 2017.

No one was hurt in the fire, Dunham said. Although there were no cars in the garage, it did contain two older motorcycles and some welding equipment, he added.