Three firefighters hurt at Conewago Twp. blaze

STAFF REPORT

Three firefighters were hurt and a family of four displaced during a fire in Conewago Township Sunday afternoon.

Emergency crews found a fully involved fire when they responded to a call at 2:30 p.m. Sunday on Buck Road in Conewago Township.

Photos from the fire show a home completely engulfed in flames. Smoke from the blaze could be seen as far as 3 miles away, according to the Southern PA Incident Network.

Fire in the 800 block of Buck Road in Conewago Township, Sunday, Feb. 19, 2017.

At one point, fire crews were told to evacuate the building and fight the flames from the exterior only, according to SPIN posts.

Strinestown Community Fire Co. Chief Frosty Wertz said three firefighters were taken to the hospital after receiving an electrical shock, but Wertz said he thinks they will be fine.

Twenty tanker, ladder trucks and fire engines from a number of departments were working at the fire, Wertz said.

Fire in the 800 block of Buck Road in Conewago Township, Sunday, Feb. 19, 2017.

There were no hydrants in the area, so water had to be trucked to the site, he said. That increases the number of units that are involved.

Two adults and two children live in the house, Wertz said. The Red Cross is helping them with necessities.

Wertz didn't have an estimate on the amount of damage done.

Fire in the 800 block of Buck Road in Conewago Township, Sunday, Feb. 19, 2017.