Chief: York City fire accidental

Christopher Dornblaser
505-5436/@YDDornblaser

A fire above a York City business that sent a woman to the hospital Tuesday evening was deemed accidental, according to a fire official.

York City Fire Chief David Michaels said Wednesday afternoon the fire that damaged the second and third floors of 357 W. Philadelphia St. was caused by careless smoking. A 48-year-old woman on the second floor was taken to Lehigh Valley Hospital and is in critical condition, according to the chief.

“Looks like her cigarette dropped on a chair, and the chair ignited,” Michaels said.

The fire started in the front part of the second floor and spread to the third floor, he said. He estimated the damage at $55,000.

One hospitalized after York City row home fire

Miller Bros Vacuums, located on the first floor, is still open, he said.

"They have some damage, but they're open," Michaels said.

Two White Rose Ambulance EMTs, who assisted in evacuating the third-floor residents, were taken to York Hospital for smoke inhalation but were treated and released Tuesday night, according to Michaels.

The two rescued by the EMTs, a 21-year-old man and a 5-month-old baby, are OK, the chief said.

"They didn't even go to the hospital," he said. "They were treated at the scene."

The Red Cross is assisting those displaced by the fire.

— Reach Christopher Dornblaser at cdornblaser@yorkdispatch.com or on Twitter at @YDDornblaser.