Crenshaw award winners honored
- The York City Fire Department won the Best Service Professional Award.
- Proceeds from the ceremony will be used to renovate the Voni Grimes Gym on College Avenue.
Local teachers, coaches, artists and businesses earned recognition for making York City “the lively, diverse and robust” community that it is during the Inaugural Ray Crenshaw Neighborhood Awards on Saturday night.
The York City Fire Department picked up the Best Service Professional Award, having been nominated alongside White Rose Ambulance and York City Police Officer Joe Colahan.
Fire Chief David Michaels said the department was “very proud and honored” to be recognized by the people of the communities they serve and to receive the award named for Crenshaw, “who was such an important person for our community.”
The ceremony was held in honor of Ray Crenshaw, a former York City councilman, local NAACP and Democratic Party head and esteemed community leader. Proceeds from the event will be put toward the renovation of the Voni Grimes Gym at 125 E. College Ave., where the ceremony was held.
The award winners were nominated by members of the public and chosen by a committee.
“It is humbling to honor the selfless and admirable acts of Mr. Ray Crenshaw and the impact that he has made in our community while also recognizing several cornerstone businesses, organizations and individuals that have made our community great,” York City Mayor Kim Bracey said in a statement.
Father-and-son duo Kerry Glover and Kerry Glover Jr. took home the awards for Best Sports Coach and Best Youth Athlete. Glover coaches the Columbia High School boys’ basketball team.
Ray Crenshaw Neighborhood Award Winners
- Best Sports Coach: Kerry Glover
- Best Nail Salon: Spa at Yorktowne
- Best School Teacher: Crissy Washington (York City School District)
- Best Church Choir: Bible Tabernacle Church Choir
- Best Barbershop: Tony Orr Sons & Daughters Barbershop
- Best Hair Salon: Beneath The Surface
- Best Service Professional: York City Fire Department
- Best Beauty Supply Store: Hair Depot
- Best Photographer: Lawrence Tyler
- Best Rap & Hip Hop: Kahlil “Lost Cause” Thompson
- Best Apparel Store: The New Hub
- Best Latin/Spanish Restaurant: Mi Caldero
- Best Singer: The Rossums
- Best Poet: Jerald “Proc” Proctor
- Best Coffee Shop: New Grounds
- Best Corner Store: Green Food Market
- Best Youth Athlete: Kerry Glover Jr.
- Best After-School Program: YWCA QOP