A 51-year-old man died after crashing in York City on Thursday night during a police pursuit, according to the York County Coroner's Office.

Carl Snellings, of the 300 block of South Penn Street in York City, was ejected from the vehicle he was in when it crashed at 11:23 p.m. near the intersection of Pleasant Avenue and McKenzie Road, the coroner's report states.

According to a state police report, York City Police were searching for a vehicle involved in a hit-and-run crash that occurred about 10:15 p.m.

Approximately 30 minutes later, police stopped a 2000 Ford F-150 truck, but as officers exited their patrol vehicle, the suspect vehicle fled the scene, the police report states.

As the suspect vehicle attempted to elude police, it crashed, and Snellings was ejected from the truck, police said.

Snellings died at the scene, and an autopsy Saturday morning showed that Snellings' cause of death was blunt-force trauma to the chest, with the manner accidental.

State police are investigating because of city police involvement in the pursuit, as is standard in such cases.

Anyone with information regarding the incident is asked to contact the state police York barracks at 717-428-1011.

Criminal record: According to court records, Snellings was convicted in August 2011 of aggravated assault in the stabbing of Frank Meyers, of York City.

Snellings was sentenced to three to seven years in state prison, according to records.

He was released on parole April 21, 2014, according to state Department of Corrections spokeswoman Susan McNaughton.

York City Police said Snellings stabbed Myers in the chest on May 24, 2010, after the two men got into an argument. A bloody knife was found in Snellings' pocket when he was arrested, and a DNA test confirmed the blood was Myers', according to then senior deputy prosecutor Justin Kobeski.

Myers, who was 47 at the time, spent 33 days in York Hospital — the first 20 in a coma — but he recovered, Kobeski had said.

Trial testimony indicated Snellings and Myers had been hanging out together and drinking all day before the attack, the prosecutor said.

Snellings maintained his innocence, according to his defense attorney Joshua Neiderhiser.

Read or Share this story: