Police: 2 shot, 1 dead in York City violence
One York City teenager was killed and another seriously injured in separate shootings late Tuesday night and early Wednesday morning in the city's west end, according to police.
Erick Hernandez, 18, of the 200 block of Grantley Avenue, died early Wednesday morning after someone shot him in the chest in the alley south of the 600 block of West Princess Street, according to police, who are investigating the incident as a homicide.
Officers were called to West Heiges Street, the alley, around 2:22 a.m. for a report of a shooting; they found Hernandez and took him to York Hospital, where he was pronounced dead at 3:06 a.m., according to the York County Coroner's Office.
An autopsy is scheduled for 8 a.m. Thursday at Lehigh Valley Hospital in Allentown, according to the coroner's office.
On Wednesday afternoon, Hernandez's father, Gilberto Hernandez, and friend Kyle Wiedlan answered the door at the shooting victim's Grantley Avenue home in the Salem Square neighborhood.
"He's a good kid," his father said. He said Erick Hernandez was one of eight siblings — four boys and four girls.
Gilberto Hernandez said his son had liked to stay active; he pointed to a couple of trophies up on a bookshelf in their living room.
"He was a sports guy," the elder Hernandez said. "He liked playing baseball, he liked playing football, he liked all of it."
Gilberto Hernandez said his son had been shot during a robbery.
"All the guy got was $8," his father said.
Police have not released any information regarding the events leading up to the shooting.
Wiedlan said his friend didn't have any enemies.
"The only thing that had beef with him was his cereal bowl in the morning," Wiedlan said.
Hernandez wasn't the only young man shot in the city's west end that night; five hours earlier and a block and a half northeast of where he was shot, police responded to another call for a shooting. A 17-year-old boy, whose identity has not been released, was shot in the back around 9:30 p.m. Tuesday on West Newton Avenue near South West Street, according to police.
The boy remains at York Hospital in serious condition, police said.
York City Police Lt. Troy Bankert, who supervises the department's detective division, said Wednesday morning that police haven't ruled out any connection between the shootings, but they currently have no evidence to support that theory.
Police have no suspects in either shooting, Bankert said.
Anyone with information is asked to call the police at (717) 846-1234 or anonymously text "yorktips" and then the tip to 847411.
Kathryn Serrano lives a couple of row houses away from the corner of Newton and West. About an hour after the shooting there, said she'd just returned from taking her dog for a walk when she heard "two or three" gunshots ring out. She went to the door and saw one young man running out of the alley, she said.
And this violence, especially among young people in the city's west side, brings back the worst kinds of memories, she said. Her son Paul Smith was shot to death at age 21 just outside the Majestic Restaurant — now Li's Kitchen — on West Market Street on March 8, 1997, by Daron Nesbit, who was 16 years old.
"When I see this kind of crap, it just slaps it all back," Serrano said.