Join the Conversation
To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the Conversation Guidelines and FAQs
York GOP creates outreach groups
York County Republicans are looking to reach out to the community through a series of soon-to-be-formed coalitions.
The new initiative has an overall goal of increasing voter registration and turnout while also spreading the GOP's stance on the issues through six distinct coalitions, said Allison Blew, vice chairwoman of the county's Republican committee.
"Because the Republican Party is so varied, we want to plug our committee members into areas they are passionate about," she said.
One coalition will focus on doing service projects, such as clean-ups and partnering with nonprofit organizations, across the county. Another is the sportsmen coalition that involves members organizing sportsmen-related activities.
Meetings: The first set of organizational meetings to form the coalitions was held Thursday.
All meetings will be held at the party's local headquarters, 2453 Kingston Court, Suite 101, in Springettsbury Township.
Here's a look at the coalitions and when meetings will be held:
- Faith Coalition: Aims to educate voters of faith about the importance of voting and to distribute materials within places of worship. The first meeting is Thursday at 6 p.m.
- Service Coalition: Will organize service activities, such as cleanups, across the county. The first meeting is Thursday at 7 p.m.
- Sportsmen Coalition: Will organize GOP efforts within the sportsmen community and may include being involved in sportsmen shows, shops and clubs. The first meeting is Tuesday at 6 p.m.
- Veterans Coalition: Members should be active in the military or veterans. The first meeting is Tuesday at 7 p.m.
- Senior Coalition: Will be in charge of efforts in local senior living communities and will assist with voting procedures. The first meeting is Thursday, June 2, at 6 p.m.
- Local Election Coalition: Members will work to recruit candidates for local office, as well as members of the York County Republican Committee. The first meeting is Thursday, June 2, at 7 p.m.
RSVPs to attend a meeting should be made by contacting Jenna Geesey, the committee's executive director, at (717) 854-7276 or JGeesey@yorkpagop.org.