York County Libraries accepting food to pay off late fines
York County Libraries are taking an unusual approach to cut borrower debts by accepting food for food pantries in York and Hanover.
Members of the library system will be able to donate nonperishable items to drive down late fee charges from Monday, Sept. 5, through Sept. 30. Donations will reduce fines by $1 per food item as part of the annual "Food for Fines" program, according to a news release.
Donations will not apply toward any other charges from the library, including charges stemming from lost items.
The program will run at all 13 York County Libraries locations as well as the new Salem Square Library. Each library will have donated items go toward a certain food pantry in the county, the release states.
"Libraries are so important in the lives of our community members," said Martin Library Director Mina Edmondson in a news release. "Providing a child, a family or an individual access to all the resources available at the library is extremely important to us."
Nonperishable items donated in the past include cereal, soup, rice, beans, peanut butter and canned meat, according to the news release.
For library hours and more information about the "Food for Fines" program, visit the York County Libraries website at www.yorklibraries.org.
Find your local library and its corresponding food pantry in the list below:
- Arthur Hufnagel Public Library of Glen Rock: York County Food Bank, York
- Collinsville Community Library: Mason-Dixon Community Service, Delta
- Dillsburg Area Community Library: New Hope Ministries, Dillsburg
- Dover Area Community Library: Dover Area Food Bank, Dover
- Glatfelter Memorial Library: Harvest for Hope, York
- Guthrie Memorial Library — Hanover’s Public Library: New Hope Ministries, Hanover
- Kaltreider-Benfer Library: Red Lion Area Community Services & Emmanuel’s Closet, Red Lion
- Kreutz Creek Valley Library Center: Eastern York Food Pantry, Wrightsville
- Martin Library and Salem Square Library: Catholic Harvest Food Pantry, York
- Mason-Dixon Public Library: Southern York County Food Pantry, New Freedom
- Red Land Community Library: Red Cap Food Ministry, Lewisberry
- Paul Smith Library of Southern York County: Southern York County Food Pantry, New Freedom
- Village Library: Christ United Methodist Church Food Pantry of Jacobus