Update: Murder suspect's new trial set for January

Brandon Addeo
York Dispatch
Jacquez Davon Brown

Update, Aug. 6: The retrial for Jacquez Davon Brown has been pushed back until next year.

After originally targeting a fall trial date for the 25-year-old York City resident, attorneys for the prosecution and defense realized the court did not have any open trial dates until 2022. 

Brown won an appeal for a new trial after he was convicted and sentenced to prison for the fatal shooting of 19-year-old Tony Wasilewski in 2013. 

More:New trial for York City man convicted as teen of murder

At a pretrial hearing Friday, Judge Gregory Snyder set the case for a trial starting on Jan. 3. Up to 20 witnesses could be called to the stand and attorneys said the trial could last a full week. 

Brown remains at the York County Prison. 

Original post: A man who successfully appealed his York County murder conviction could get a new trial as early as November. 

Jacquez Davon Brown, 25, of York City, appeared in York County's Court of Common Pleas for a pretrial hearing on Friday. 

In 2013, a York County jury convicted Brown of first-degree murder for the 2011 fatal shooting of Tony Wasilewski, 19, on East Princess Street. Brown, who was 15 years old at the time, allegedly shot Wasilewski after robbing him of his phone hours earlier.

Tony Wasilewski, 19, was fatally shot after confronting the teen who'd robbed him earlier the same day, York City Police have said.

Brown was sentenced to 50 years to life in prison. He won a new trial on appeal after claiming he received ineffective assistance from his trial attorney, Gary Kelley, who didn't call an eyewitness to the witness stand. 

In court Friday, both the prosecution and defense said they needed more time to consult with expert witnesses ahead of the pending retrial. Defense attorney Heather Reiner told Judge Gregory Snyder that both sides wanted to go to trial in November, or December at the latest.

Snyder set another pretrial hearing for Friday, Aug. 6. Brown is being held at York County Prison.