11 homicides in York City this year after three dead from shootings
There have been 14 homicides this year, and 11 of them happened in York City alone, according to information released Tuesday.
York County Coroner Pam Gay said Wednesday, Sept. 18, that Tyre Johnson, 20, died from a gunshot wound to the head. His autopsy was conducted Monday, Sept. 16.
Johnson's death marked the 14th homicide in 2019 in the county, according to Gay, and the 11th in York City.
Johnson, of Manchester Township, was shot outside a home in the area of North Pershing Avenue and Jefferson Avenue in York City about 9:40 p.m. Sept. 11. He was taken to York Hospital, where he died from his injuries Thursday, Sept. 12.
Johnson was one of three people fatally shot in York City on Sept. 11.
Lawrence Alston, 29, and Charles McCallister, 42, both of York City, were shot outside a home in the 500 block of West Princess Street about 8:30 p.m.
Both were taken to York Hospital, where they were pronounced dead later that night.
Gay said Alston's death was caused by multiple gunshot wounds, and McCallister's cause of death was a gunshot wound to the abdomen.
Both deaths were deemed homicides after autopsies were conducted Friday, Sept. 13.
York City Police detectives are still investigating the shootings. Officer Derek Hartman, the department's spokesman, said Wednesday that investigators do not know if the shootings on Sept. 11 were related.
No arrests have been made in either incident.
There were 13 homicides in York City in 2018, according to a yearly report from Gay. In 2017, there were 16 homicides in York City. There were nine homicides in York City in 2016, according to records.
Anyone with information on the shootings is asked to call police at 717-846-1234 or text "Yorktips" and your information to 847-411.
York City homicides in 2019: There have been eight other homicides in York City so far this year:
- Jaiquaune Freeman, 23, of York City, was fatally shot on Light Avenue on March 17.
- Christian Gutierrez-Rosado, 23, of York City, was killed in a shooting inside a home in the 700 block of West Princess Street on April 10. The shooting was deemed justifiable.
- Jason Markley, 27, of York City, was fatally stabbed in the 500 block of Wallace Street on April 23.
- Antonio Garcia, 27, of York City, was fatally shot in the area of South Belvidere Avenue and West King Street on May 2.
- Kyle Otto, 31, of York City, was killed in a shooting in the 500 block of Smith Street on July 20.
- Moses Coleman, 39, of York City, was fatally shot in the 100 block of North Sherman on July 31.
- Edward Jarmond Jr., 27, of York City, was killed in a shooting in the 600 block of Bare Avenue on Aug. 22.
- Juan Woodard, 42, of York City, died after a shooting in the 100 block of North Pine Street on Sept. 6.
York County homicides 2019: There have been three homicides in York County outside of York City this year:
- Stefen Simmons, 20 died after he was shot in the first block of Oriole Circle, Chanceford Township, on Jan. 6.
- Wyatt Dettinger, 21, fatally shot his father, Duane Dettinger, 48, in a home in the first block of Carroll Street in Wellsville on July 23, according to police.
- Marsha Stewart, 40, died after getting shot multiple times by her estranged husband, Courtney "Corey" Stewart, 50, in their home in the 1100 block of Stone Gate Drive, Conewago Township, on July 31. Courtney Stewart killed himself after shooting his wife, police said.
— Reach Christopher Dornblaser at firstname.lastname@example.org or on Twitter at @YDDornblaser.