Spring Grove High's Class of 2022 graduates

Police: Man who fled Lancaster, York cops failed at second attempt

Tyler Evans

A wanted Lancaster County man who caused a high-speed, multi-county chase last month also tried ditching authorities again but was unsuccessful, according to police.

Hellam Township Police said Tyler Michael Evans, wanted on charges from Columbia, was found by K-9 units not far from where he was pulled over in Hellam Township on Monday, May 20.

Evans, of the 600 block of High Street, is charged with flight to avoid apprehension and possession of marijuana.

At the time of his May 20 arrest, Evans was wanted by Columbia Police, who said he led officers on a chase on April 29.

For that case, he faces charges of fleeing or attempting to elude an officer and flight to avoid apprehension and misdemeanor charges of drug possession and driving with a suspended license.

Elizabeth Dengler

Arrest: Charging documents state the car Evans was in was pulled over in the 4200 block of Lincoln Highway about 10:30 p.m. May 20 after an officer saw that the license plate did not match the car he was in.

When Evans' vehicle stopped, he got out and fled toward a nearby restaurant, and the driver, his girlfriend, Elizabeth Dengler, told police Evans was wanted in Lancaster County, according to authorities.

A York County Sheriff's K-9 tracked Evans to a field about 500 feet from the car, police said.

After his arrest, Evans said anything illegal in their car was his, court documents allege. Police said marijuana was found in the car.

Dengler, 24, of Columbia, also was arrested and charged with a felony of hindering apprehension. She also was charged with a misdemeanor of that same offense by Columbia Police in March, according to online court records.

Evans was arraigned on the charges Tuesday, May 21. He was sent to York County Prison on $75,000 bail. Dengler was sent to York County Prison on $7,500 bail. Both remained in prison Thursday, May 30.

Lancaster charges: Columbia Police said officers tried to stop Evans in the area of North Front Street and Walnut Street in Columbia, but he fled.

This happened about 9:30 a.m. April 29, according to police.

The department said in a news release he drove the wrong way on the Route 441 bypass onto Cedar Street, and then he continued through the borough.

Evans then got onto the Route 462 bridge and entered Wrightsville before getting out and fleeing on foot toward the Susquehanna River, the release states.

After that, Columbia Police, West Hempfield Township Police, Hellam Township Police and Lower Windsor Township Police as well as K-9s from from York and Lancaster counties spent 2½ hours searching for him, but they were unsuccessful.

He was also wanted on a fleeing charge from Millersville Police, court documents state.

— Reach Christopher Dornblaser at cdornblaser@yorkdispatch.com or on Twitter at @YDDornblaser.