Police: Drunk Dover Twp. man flees from cops, hits passenger

A drunken Dover Township man fleeing from police ended up hitting his own passenger with his car before hiding from police in a cornfield, charging documents state.

Northern York County Regional Police said officers from the York County Sheriff's Office and state police assisted in searching the area to find Keith Grim, but he managed to flee the scene and make it to someone's home. 

Grim, 33, of the 3000 block of Conewago Road, is charged with aggravated assault, aggravated assault by vehicle while DUI, fleeing or attempting to elude officer, escape, recklessly endangering another person, resisting arrest, DUI, tampering with an ignition interlock and more than 10 summary traffic violations.

Keith Grim

More:Police: Dover Twp. choking victim hung out of moving car, yelled for police

More:Dover woman who twice kicked cop in crotch gets house arrest

Pulled over: Sgt. Christopher Irwin spotted Grim driving a white Chevrolet Blazer south on Carlisle Road about 1 a.m. Friday, Oct. 19, court documents state.

Irwin followed Grim as he turned north onto Davidsburg Road and watched as Grim drifted back and forth in the travel lanes, almost hitting construction workers near South Salem Church Road, officials said.

Irwin turned on his emergency lights and sirens to pull over Grim, but Grim continued on Davidsburg Road, speeding past several locations where he could have stopped, according to charging documents.

Grim pulled over at the intersection of Muirfield and Davidsburg roads, and police said Grim had several signs of intoxication, including bloodshot, glassy eyes; slurred speech; and a strong odor of alcohol coming from his breath, officials said.

Additionally, several open containers of beer could be seen inside the passenger compartment of the car, court documents allege.

Grim couldn't find his license, and when speaking to police he tried saying he wasn't drinking, police said.

He instead handed Irwin the ignition interlock system, which was not properly connected to the vehicle, officials said.

Irwin ordered him to turn the car off and exit the car to perform sobriety testing, but Grim said, "You don't have the authority to open my door," according to police.

Irwin tried several times to pull Grim out of the car, but he tensed himself up and attempted to place the car into reverse and back up while Irwin was standing next to the car, all while the driver-side door was open, court documents state.

Irwin started punching him several times in the face and head to get him to stop, officials said.

Fled: Grim then did place the Blazer in reverse, causing Irwin to run backward to avoid getting hit by the car, court documents state.

While that was happening, Grim's passenger was getting out of the car, and he was struck by Grim as Grim was fleeing from Irwin, officials said. Irwin drew his weapon, but Grim fled down Muirfield Drive as additional officers arrived, court documents state.

Two officers began following Grim, and Irwin stayed on the scene because the passenger complained of severe leg pain, officials said. 

Irwin injured his knee as well, according to court documents.

The two officers chased Grim while he turned left onto Wynnfield Drive, then east onto Canal Road, police said. Charging documents state he continued north onto North Salem Church Road before turning onto School House Road.

He continued onto Clearview Road and Conewago Road before abruptly turning into a farmer's field, according to authorities.

Grim turned his lights off and started driving around in the cornfield, court documents state.

Search: Officers established a perimeter around the area and found his vehicle unattended about two miles away in the rear of the field, officials said.

Irwin requested assistance from state police and the York County Sheriff's Office, which provided tracking dogs. State police were requested to search with a helicopter, according to police.

The tracking dogs tracked Grim but lost the scent about a mile from Irwin's vehicle, charging documents state. 

About 3:20 a.m., a man reported that Grim showed up at his home and was "soaking wet and intoxicated," officials said. 

Charging documents do not indicate if that is where Grim lived, or if he knew the man who called police. Documents also do not state where that house is located.

Police went to the home and found Grim lying on a sofa and covered with a blanket, authorities said. Grim refused to listen to officers' commands, and he had to be forced to the ground and handcuffed, according to police.

Grim was arraigned on the charges the morning of Friday, Oct. 19. District Judge David Eshbach denied Grim bail.

Grim does not have an attorney listed.

His preliminary hearing is scheduled for Dec. 10 at Eshbach's office.

— Reach Christopher Dornblaser at cdornblaser@yorkdispatch.com or on Twitter at @YDDornblaser.